facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 16, 2006, 02:48 AM
Street Cricketer

Default Ponting has no right to demand the umpire to review a decision.

No player be it Ponting or someone else has no right to demand the umpire to review a decision once it has been already made. It was a matter of great misfortune that Aftab was given out controversially. Whether he was out or not is not the case in point rather the mere fact that the decision was reversed because Ponting forced the upmire to ask for a further review is what should be condemned.

It may not change the outcome of this match but Aussies are doing this way too often and this habit needs to change.

Old April 16, 2006, 02:50 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

what was mahbubur rahman doing? why he changed his decision? why is he even 3rd umpire
Old April 16, 2006, 02:53 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

According to ICC rules, no player can ask umpires to review a decision, once its is made.

Umpires collapsed under pressure from aussies. Shame!!
Old April 16, 2006, 03:00 AM
Cricket Legend

Gavaskar has clearly mentioned that once the decision is made, a player can't ask for the reply. This is a breach of ICC playing condition as they said. Match referee will definitely look into it.

Whatever, the lose has already hitted us again. I thought today is the time when Aftab will get back with some runs. Bad luck!!
Old April 16, 2006, 03:04 AM
Street Cricketer

Aftab's six was clean straight hit plus the boundaries of Lee. He is from my school Chittagong Government High School. So i am naturally disappointed that Mahbubur Rahman reversed his decision. Given the state of the match, we needed the slice of luck to go in our favour but it didnt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sar2005
Gavaskar has clearly mentioned that once the decision is made, a player can't ask for the reply. This is a breach of ICC playing condition as they said. Match referee will definitely look into it.

Whatever, the lose has already hitted us again. I thought today is the time when Aftab will get back with some runs. Bad luck!!
Old April 16, 2006, 03:18 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sar2005

Bad luck indeed....I think BCB should look at it...but the damage has done.....
Old April 16, 2006, 03:29 AM
Cricket Legend

Mahbubur Rahman was not called to give a decision, rather he was asked for an opinion over the walki-talkie. The guy made the mistake of pushing the button for green light, which was an illegal action. So, Ponting was absolutely right to protest it.

This was a total show of incompetency from Mahbubur Rahman.
Old April 16, 2006, 03:37 AM
Street Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
Mahbubur Rahman was not called to give a decision, rather he was asked for an opinion over the walki-talkie. The guy made the mistake of pushing the button for green light, which was an illegal action. So, Ponting was absolutely right to protest it.

This was a total show of incompetency from Mahbubur Rahman.
He should have said that the video was inconclusive so that it would have gone in Aftab's favour.
Old April 16, 2006, 03:47 AM
Club Cricketer

match refree is a [edit] .. ponting is also a [edit].. so i very much doubt he will be punished in any way.

Last edited by chinaman; April 16, 2006 at 04:45 AM.. Reason: mod.content. See the warning below.
Old April 16, 2006, 03:49 AM
Cricket Legend

whatever ponting did was just mocking cricket.... simply unacceptable

just waiting to see how the match referee responds to this
________
Ferrari/maserati engine history

Last edited by ialbd; February 19, 2011 at 11:46 PM..
Old April 16, 2006, 04:02 AM

Even Gavaskar should prod into this given his position in ICC. Very unfortunate that this is what Int'l Test cricket has degenerated to. Match Ref was sitting right next to 3rd ump. I'm sure he's got some role in this too. Hope he holds the game up higher than himself.
Old April 16, 2006, 04:29 AM
Cricket Guru

[edit] ponting. and poor umpiring once again

Last edited by chinaman; April 16, 2006 at 04:38 AM.. Reason: mod.content. name calling
Old April 16, 2006, 04:37 AM
Retired BC Admin

Sovik, one more bad word like that and rest assured I'll ban you.
Old April 16, 2006, 04:44 AM
Retired BC Admin

If you like to enjoy or even visit this site, be very careful of what you write. Consider this as a very strong warning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDFan
match refree is a [edit].. ponting is also a [edit] so i very much doubt he will be punished in any way.
mod.action
Old April 16, 2006, 07:31 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Jayasuria

this is very dissapointing news, I hope something will be done like a fine to ponting, as hassling the umpire to review the decision aint part of the rules, just because australia are the best team in the world, it doesnt allow them to get away with murder!!!??
Old April 16, 2006, 07:37 AM
Test Cricketer

its true that Ponting has no right but Aftab was out anyway and Mahbub should give the correct decision at first place.
Old April 16, 2006, 08:26 AM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Why can't the 3rd umpire have some guts like our BC moderators!
Old April 16, 2006, 08:53 AM
Cricket Guru

we have few umpires and they are all against us. mahbubur rahman is a disgrace. and the umpires looked spineless infront of ponting.
Old April 16, 2006, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

well maybe ponting doesn't have the right to question the umpires, and maybe the umpires' reviewing their decision was a spineless act, but what difference does it make? the final decision was correct, and aftab shouldn't have gone for the slog. he deserves to be out, and that's what happened.

not that ponting shouldn't be reprimanded or something, though.
Old April 16, 2006, 10:57 AM
First Class Cricketer

The way things went last night, we really did not need a 1st, second, or 3rd umpire. We should have been appealing to Ponting and his teammates. Seems Ponting has better understanding and knowledge of the game and he surely does have more guts than all three of them combined.
Old April 16, 2006, 02:32 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Jayasuria

he may have been out anyway, and 3rd umpire has made the mistake of giving the FINAL decision of not out, so why should ponting dispute that, as umpires decision is always final and should be respected!
tut tut ponting, u been a naughty boy!
Old April 16, 2006, 02:45 PM
Cricket Legend

Was it the Match referee sitting next to the 3rd umpire ? If indeed he was, he should pre-qualify his report on this topic as he himself was involved albeit indirectly.

Ponting will get away because of the two umpires mix-up, i.e from a "legal" point of view, he could point out that the correct "procedure" was not followed and he was only seeking a clarification and was not appealing against the apparent decision.

It was the umpires who were on the backfoot since, as this was not a run-out or stumping decision, the "green-red" light could not have been used.

Whether Mahbubur Rahman actually understood what he was being asked for does not detract from the fact that he had no business "in these circumstances" to show the green light.

There is another point. If Aftab was indeed out , why are so many of us complaining ? Are we any better than Ponting ?
Old April 16, 2006, 02:56 PM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Quote:
There is another point. If Aftab was indeed out , why are so many of us complaining ? Are we any better than Ponting ?
Despite getting bad decisions in past, we never forced umpires to change their decision (one can argue that we never had mouths and guts like Aussies). In fact, there's very few occasions where our player was fined/warned for showing dissent against umpire's decision. A big difference with Aussies and few other test teams.

The point is we sticked to the rules, but Ponting didn't . Showing dissent aginst the umpires' decision means breaking code of conduct, forcing umpires to change their decision is out of the question.
Old April 16, 2006, 03:09 PM
Club Cricketer

I think Moboab Ramhama he scared Aus player. The reason he did that becuase he could lose his job if it was wrong deciasion. But once First Umpire made decesion no one should attempt umpire to exchange his decision. I hope Pointing should get Fine and Suspened from team for rest of the matches. But stupid Bangladeshi moboab Rahaman why he change is opinon. He also should suspended from Umpire. I also beliebe that Bangladeshi shouild not put their own Umpire because they scared to other courntry people which affected our cricket team as usual. Thanks a lot gusy.
Old April 16, 2006, 04:26 PM

I just remembered. Umpire Ian Howell SPECIFICALLY asked for 3rd umpire with the motion of his hands too. If it was just to confirm whether it was legally caught or not, or hit the ground, he couldve just walkie-talkied like in all other test matches. This was sheer incompetence and bungling from all parties!