facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 17, 2005, 04:31 AM
Street Cricketer

Default ON Field Violence

how man of u have heard abt this famous incident .....can u guess the players involved

Edited on, July 17, 2005, 9:40 AM GMT, by Carte Blanche.
Reason: Image fixed

Old July 17, 2005, 04:59 AM
Cricket Legend

miandad and lillee, i have read about that incident but first time i saw a pic. Rare image
Old July 17, 2005, 01:08 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

dmm lillee is in india right? and miandad is in-law with daud ibrahim... Hope miandad don't remember this story ... Or else he might send some of his in-laws to visit mr lilleeeeee
Old July 18, 2005, 04:58 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Michael Slater

I read the obituaries in one of the Wisden Almanacs. There were about 4 deaths from people who were hit with a cricket bat from a bat tempered batsman.
Old July 18, 2005, 08:47 PM
ODI Cricketer

Let me gues s who won. The guy with the bat!
Old July 19, 2005, 04:37 AM
Club Cricketer

to me both have won. the man in the middle has lost his life , i think. Do u know who was he? Is he still alive?
Old July 19, 2005, 04:29 PM
Cricket Legend

as i read somewhere, miandad was taking a run, lilee kicked him, miandad got furious and threatened with the bat.
Old July 19, 2005, 04:33 PM
ODI Cricketer

in several publications its written that lillee had blocked miandad when he was scurrying for a single and miandad slapped lillee's bottom after which the altercation started and the umpire had to intervene. i'm sure it wasn't as bad as it looks in the picture, otherwise we would've heard stories of it.
Old July 19, 2005, 05:38 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by BDshardul
to me both have won. the man in the middle has lost his life , i think. Do u know who was he? Is he still alive?
The man in the middle died? Isn't he the umpire? I don't believe that at all. The players would have been banned for life, and/or face criminal prosecutions if such were the case.
Old July 19, 2005, 09:03 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by BDshardul
The Umpire in the middle of this clash was Tony Crafter. He is an Australian Umpire and officiated in 33 Tests and 84 ODI. He retired from Umpiring job in 1992.
Old July 19, 2005, 09:07 PM
Cricket Legend

The description of this incident goes as follows:

Playing in the first test at Perth, Pakistan were routed in their first innings for a total of 62, their lowest total till 2002, by the Australian pace of Dennis Lillee and Terry Alderman. In the second innings, they needed 543 to win, and that looked highly unlikely when they were at 27/2.

Amid the crowd chants of “Lill–ee–Kill–Lill-ee”, Javed Miandad and Mansoor Akhtar tried to resurrect the Pakistan innings; perhaps if their goal was not to win, it was at least to draw.

Miandad played Lillee to square leg and completed an easy run, with a collision taking place in the center. According to Miandad, Lillee had tried to block him in the path. After a verbal exchange, Lillee went ahead and kicked Miandad on his pads. Miandad, started charging towards Lillee with his bat lifted high above the head, as if to hit him. The umpire’s intervention prevented what could have turned out to be a real assault had Miandad gone head with his plans. However, the picture of Miandad hurling his bat at Lillee made the whole incident look even worse, and was promptly declared as the most indignified incident in the history of Cricket.

The Australian media immediately turned on Lillee, perhaps because of his already existing bad boy image. Past Australian cricketers like Keith Miller and Bob Simpson were most vociferous to blame Lillee. However, the then Australian Captain, Greg Chappel insisted that Miandad’s action were the most disgraceful and not Lillee’s, and that the Pakistani’s were trying to put Lillee under pressure with their tactics. He was perhaps pointing to the fact, that since there was no other way for the Pakistani’s to save the match, these were the antics they were falling back on.

Lillee was fined A$200 for the incident. Amid outcry from the public, the umpires and the cricketing world about the leniency of the punishment, the fine was decreased in cash to A$120 but a 2 match ban was also awarded to Lillee. It was common perception, that with there being 2 one day matches before the next test, the punishment had been awarded to ensure that Lillee was back for the next test match. The fines ensured that the Pakistan team, that was

Some circles in Pakistan also started asking Miandad to issue an apology to the Australian public the same way as Lillee had done. There was also talk of handing out a fine to Miandad, because he too had violated the code of conduct. All of these were infact, weird sentiments expressed by the Pakistani press and cricketing circles, given that Miandad had only responded to agitation by Lillee. There was no reason for him to apologize, or be fined. Luckily, neither took place.

Lillee’s version, to this day, had Miandad first hitting him with the bat, and then swearing at him. He maintained that there was no contact from his side throughout the incident.

Immediately after the end of this series, around 80% of the Pakistani team revolted against Miandad’s captaincy. The two incidents were however, not related; the team had been unhappy playing under Miandad even before the tour.

Source
Old July 20, 2005, 04:30 PM
Cricket Legend

when a batsman is taking a run , it is his duty to avoid the bowler not the other way round.

But Lille had also a brash presonalty. He starred in another famous incident with richards whre he hit richards chest with a bouncer. richards almost fell down and could not breath for some time, lillee didnt even look back. crowd was chanting kill kill!! and that shook up richards, next ball he faced was another bouncer and richards hit that out of the ground.
Old July 21, 2005, 11:39 PM
Street Cricketer

has someone got clips of the incident whcih took place in canada ...betwee Inzi and an indian fan?
Old July 22, 2005, 02:07 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally posted by Carte Blanche
The man in the middle died? Isn't he the umpire? I don't believe that at all. The players would have been banned for life, and/or face criminal prosecutions if such were the case.
I think he meant died several years later due to reasons not attributable to this particular incident at all.
Old July 22, 2005, 02:15 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally posted by 2Ws
has someone got clips of the incident whcih took place in canada ...betwee Inzi and an indian fan?
haha...that was hillarious...i remember watching that on tv...he started swearing at some of the spectators and then snatched a bat from one of his teammates standing next to him and started beating the hell out of some of them. the spectators were running up the gallery stairs to avoid his wrath.

had this been the subcontinent, Inzy would have been beaten up like crazy that day
Old July 22, 2005, 02:23 AM
BC Editorial Team

>> then snatched a bat from one of his teammates

The interesting part was that this teammate (Mahmood Hussain) conveniently appeared there with a bat at the time. The pavilion was on the other side of the ground
Old July 22, 2005, 09:40 AM
ODI Cricketer

hey you gotta back your team mates in times of trouble. but true, these guys are professionals and should be able to swallow taunting by spectators.
Then again, shouldn't we also be able to swallow taunts from "richie benaud", "geoffery boycott" and "javed miandad"?
Why do we get angry and start threatening their lives, their moms and bring out baseless allegations against them?
Old July 25, 2005, 04:52 PM
Street Cricketer

hi check this one [link]www.geocities.com/mohsinirshad/Great_Javed.wmv[/link]

Edited on, July 25, 2005, 9:57 PM GMT, by 2Ws.
Old July 25, 2005, 07:33 PM
ODI Cricketer

Just noticed there's no barbed wire protecting the feild. If this was a sky-blue/black-white match, the stands would have cleared and some one would have gotten hurt...