facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Match Archive

Match Archive Relive the match-time passion (Read Only)

Old December 14, 2006, 01:35 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Shaheed Jewel XI: Sabbir Khan (captain), Imrose Siddiqui, Naeem Islam, Farhad Hossain, Nasir Hossain, Mahmudul Hasan, Nadimuddin Mintu (wicketkeeper), Taposh Ghosh, Alamgir Kabir, Rummon Islam, Arif Hossain, Arafat Salahuddin, Ziaur Rahman and Gazi Salahuddin.
This is a mix between NCL leading performers (Shabbir Khan, Zunaid Siddique, Naeem Islam, Farhad Hossain, Alamgir Kabir, Arafat Salahuddin, Ziur Rahman, and Gazi Salahuddin) and the next U/19 batch (Mahmudul Hasan, Nasir Hossain, Nadimuddin, Tapash Gosh (another SLA ), and Rumman Islam). I don't know at what catagory Ashraful's old buddy Arif Hossain fall into.

Last edited by TheWatcher; December 14, 2006 at 02:03 PM..

Old December 14, 2006, 01:40 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Go BCB go! Look at all those bowled Scots!
Old December 14, 2006, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
Rubel, another SLA did the damage in the Scot's innings.
i thought rrubel was a leggie? is this mosaddeq hossain rubel? if so, i bet he's a right arm leggie.
Old December 14, 2006, 02:12 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
i thought rrubel was a leggie? is this mosaddeq hossain rubel? if so, i bet he's a right arm leggie.
No, this is a different guy- Mosharraf Hossain Rubel and he is an SLA.
Old December 14, 2006, 02:42 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

haha... another disappointment!!! Why can't we get a leggie?
Old December 14, 2006, 02:58 PM
Cricket Legend

BowlerOMRWnbwdR/O
Safaq AL Zabir1100000.00
Dollar Mahmud91372014.11
Ishraq Sonnet50212114.20
Mosharaf Hossain9.22324003.43
SirajUllah Khadem 100402024.00
Sohrawardi Shuvo80560017.00
Rezaul Islam50280105.60

The above is the BCCB bowling scorecard of the practice match.
Interesting to point to note: Safaq AL Zabir opened the bowling for BCCB Academy and delivered a maiden over. And that's it--the match was over for the opening bowlers with just 1 over. Whereas Sohrawardi Shuvo's bowling was used for 8 overs and he gave 7 runs per over in his 8-0-56-0 spell. I wonder why!!
Old December 14, 2006, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

lol..looks like we produce more sla's than anyone else in the world. so it's becoming more of a bangladeshi thing than, say, a subcontinental thing. i wonder why, though. what makes us different from india/pakistan/sri lanka? certainly rafique can't be that big a role-model? i mean he's probably the best sla in the world, but initiating the birth of a never-ending chain of quality sla's is revolutionary, to say the least.

also, in a country where writing with your left hand or doing anything with the left part of your body for that matter is discouraged from an early age, it's surprising to see how many start off bowling with their left arms.

good stuff. maybe one day we'll have three sla's in reply to a single warne, murali, panesar or vettori.
Old December 14, 2006, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by babubangla
Safaq AL Zabir opened the bowling for BCCB Academy and delivered a maiden over. And that's it--the match was over for the opening bowlers with just 1 over. Whereas Sohrawardi Shuvo's bowling was used for 8 overs and he gave 7 runs per over in his 8-0-56-0 spell. I wonder why!!
shafaq injured himself after bowling that over. source: this thread.
Old December 14, 2006, 03:06 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Interesting to point to note: Safaq AL Zabir opened the bowling for BCCB Academy and delivered a maiden over. And that's it--the match was over for the opening bowlers with just 1 over. Whereas Sohrawardi Shuvo's bowling was used for 8 overs and he gave 7 runs per over in his 8-0-56-0 spell. I wonder why!!
My best guess is Shafaq got injured after bowling the first over and thus couldn't bowl anymore.
Old December 14, 2006, 03:11 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
lol..looks like we produce more sla's than anyone else in the world. so it's becoming more of a bangladeshi thing than, say, a subcontinental thing. i wonder why, though. what makes us different from india/pakistan/sri lanka? certainly rafique can't be that big a role-model? i mean he's probably the best sla in the world, but initiating the birth of a never-ending chain of quality sla's is revolutionary, to say the least.
There are couple of reasons I can think of why we have so many sla.

1. We have more right handed batsmen than left handed. Since it is easier for sla to get more wickets against righties, they are more successful.
2. Compare to right arm legspin, left arm orthodox is easier to control.

Since they are more successful, they get to stay in the team and develop.
Old December 14, 2006, 03:20 PM
Cricket Legend

From Cricket Scotland-

Quote:
After Zimbabwe, it is very much a case of "next, please" as fans of the Tigers anticipate another application of superiority over erstwhile peers. But the research has been done. Drinnen, Wright and Watson gained further insight into the imminent challenge when wandering around Dubai airport in the small hours of Sunday night, when they bumped into Zimbabwe coach Kevin Curran.

Curran, having just fled the scene of the slaughter, was well placed to identify the many strengths and fewer weaknesses of opponents who have an acute grasp of what is needed to win games on their home patch.
So the Scots thought they knew how it is like to play here
Old December 14, 2006, 03:35 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Indeed.
I like the term cricinfo once used in a match report to describe the long list of SLA in BD Team: "The Army of SLA" !!
Old December 14, 2006, 03:53 PM
First Class Cricketer

...Curran, having just fled the scene of the slaughter....
Oh how I liked the language here, BD is now slaughtering others....
Old December 14, 2006, 04:12 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Liton Das

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
From Cricket Scotland-

Quote:
After Zimbabwe, it is very much a case of "next, please" as fans of the Tigers anticipate another application of superiority over erstwhile peers. But the research has been done. Drinnen, Wright and Watson gained further insight into the imminent challenge when wandering around Dubai airport in the small hours of Sunday night, when they bumped into Zimbabwe coach Kevin Curran.

Curran, having just fled the scene of the slaughter, was well placed to identify the many strengths and fewer weaknesses of opponents who have an acute grasp of what is needed to win games on their home patch.
So the Scots thought they knew how it is like to play here
Oh cmon!!The world isnt that small!!Who do they think theyre kidding??Funny how they thought a conversation with a coach is all they needed for understanding the conditions. Even more funny how the zimbabwean coach thought he knew the weaknesses of our players even after it obviously did not work!
Old December 14, 2006, 04:27 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Even more funny how the zimbabwean coach thought he knew the weaknesses of our players even after it obviously did not work!
There is a difference between knowing the weakness and exploiting the weakness. I know what is the Ganguly's weakness but I am not good enough of a bowler to take advantage of that weakness. Same thing can be said abuot ZImbabwe's coach.
Old December 14, 2006, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

man, the scots are making this series sound like it's the world cup finals!
Old December 14, 2006, 05:21 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC Design Team

Favorite Player: Shahriar Biddyut

Quote:
man, the scots are making this series sound like it's the world cup finals!
they come from England's vicinity... what do you think! It's in their collective attitude - full of arrogance and inability to stand a minnow's success!

anyway, just wondering... Nadif first emerged through the NCL as a spin bowling allrounder, was a SLA infact. But then If I remember correctly, he was reported for suspect action. And now he doesnt bowl anymore... so what was in the report ? Couldnt Nadif fix his action if he was faulty at all ? Is that also why he has turned primarily into a hard-hitting batsman ?

on another note, Naeem Islam, one of the players selected to play for the Shaheed Jewel XI in 16 December's exhibition match, was the opening partner of Roqibul in the last U-19 world cup. So he is not that unknown, as some of the others in that team are.
Old December 14, 2006, 05:29 PM
Cricket Legend

Nadif was reported to ICC back in 2004, during the U/19 WC in Bangladesh. I too wonder why he could not fix himself in the last two years, especially when he was trained under McInnes for quite a long time. Or is it that he is just a habitual chuker ?

Naeem Islam was actually Nafees Iqbal's openning partner back in 2004.
Old December 14, 2006, 07:50 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan
Default 4 sixes by Tamim kills Scotts

This is from the Daily Star of Dhaka.

Local hero Tamim Iqbal struck a superb hundred to send visiting Scotland crashing by 33 runs against Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) Academy in a warm-up match at the Chittagong Divisional Stadium yesterday.

Winning the toss, BCB Academy skipper Nadif Chowdhury elected to bat first and his side scored 252 for six in 50 overs. Scotland failed to chase down the stiff target and were bowled out for 219 in 47.2 overs.

The young opener started off in uncharacteristic fashion as his opening partner Nazmus Sadat dominated their opening stand, adding 60 for the first wicket. But Sadat's loss and the quick dismissal of Jahurul Islam -- both to Scotland skipper Craig Wright -- did not deter the young side.

Number four Nadif joined Tamim in the 16th over and both batsmen flourished on a batsman's paradise. Tamim cut loose after reaching his half-century, hitting sixes and fours at will.
The left-handed Tamim scored his hundred in 133 balls, hitting nine boundaries and four sixes while Nadif smashed a couple of sixes and five fours in his 76-ball 68.

The local boy could not hide his delight while saying, "I am particularly happy to score a century that proved instrumental for my team's win.
"I am looking forward to scoring more hundreds this season," said Tamim.

After both batsmen fell to Majid Haq, Marshall Ayub and Sohrawardi Shuvo added some important runs to the total. Haq took three wickets while the two early wickets from skipper Wright was the other notable bowling contribution.

The visitors, who take on Bangladesh in the first one-day international today, fell into early trouble as seamer Ishraq Sonnet picked up opener Fraser Watts and one-drop Ryan Watson with the score on 14. But Navdeep Poonia batted well in a quickfire 63 off 73 balls, with the help of nine fours and a six.

Experienced campaigner Dougie Brown who failed to take a wicket, scored 47 runs but it was Neil McCullum who gave his side some hope as he also hit a fifty off 57 balls. But his dismissal ended their battle as the last wickets fell quite cheaply with left-armer Mosharraf Hossain adding two wickets to his earlier scalps of Gavin Hamilton (11) and Brown.

Sonnet, Sirajullah Khadem and Dollar Mahmud all took two wickets each for the young Academy side, whose skipper was content with his boys' effort.

"This is something great for me as my team won the match under my captaincy here", he said.
"They (Scotland) lacked real strike bowlers and as a result failed to pose any threat for us," Nadif observed.

Take That: BCB Academy opener Tamim Iqbal hoists one over long-on for one of his four sixes in the warmup match against Scotland at the Chittagong Divisional Stadium yesterday. PHOTO: Zobaer
Old December 14, 2006, 08:06 PM
Club Cricketer

khela dekhabe kothay? keo janen kon channel e dekhabe?
Old December 14, 2006, 08:15 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Liton Das

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadi
There is a difference between knowing the weakness and exploiting the weakness. I know what is the Ganguly's weakness but I am not good enough of a bowler to take advantage of that weakness. Same thing can be said abuot ZImbabwe's coach.
Im sorry, i guess i wasnt too clear in the last post. What i was talking about was zimbabwes continued effort to make S. Nafees play away from his body (as everyone knows he doesnt use his feet too much at first). They must have been instructed by their coach to do that. I feel that that was a pretty rash decision, as, with their pace, all that they could come up with were easy, wide balls that gave Nafees more than enough room to smash it to the boundary. The coachs "observations" were nothing more than crude, obvious ideas that ended up hurting them rather than helping them.