facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old July 16, 2007, 01:49 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Can felon run for office? I know in US they can't vote let alone run.

Old July 16, 2007, 01:55 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Only Ashraful & Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahid
Ek odrishsho haater ingitey ei shorkar cholchey.
Kar sey odrisso haat?
Old July 16, 2007, 01:57 PM
Retired BC Admin

কিরে ভাই লোকজন কি হটাত করে ভবের হাটের আঙুরী বেগম হয়ে গেল নাকি? কি লিখলাম আর কি বুঝলো? মাযে মাযে মজা করেও কি তির্যক ভাবে কথা বলা যায় না, নাকি?
Old July 16, 2007, 02:00 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny747
whatever....after all they are capturing all the culprits..........those who talks againts CTG are mostly diehard AL supporters or who were highly benefited from the so called democracy.
Kintu Iskander Mia Bhaglo Kemney? All is a BIG word my friend. You cannot pick and choose ... by all it means all ex army corrupted officers also like Iskander, Hafiz , Ershad etc... No?

Last edited by Fazal; July 16, 2007 at 02:30 PM..
Old July 16, 2007, 02:06 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_dorshok
thats far far better than so called political goons controlled peace. have you ever lived in any of Dhaka University's Hall (the situation was essentially same everywhere) controlled by napit, tokai, muchi turned to chatro league/chatro dal neta. have you witnessed how qualified candidates in public services are thrown out by chatro league/dal illiterate political goons. if not, how can you feel the difference.
The PSC dramas started during the 2nd khaleda regime. There was corruption before, but at a level that was acceptable. Neoptism and favoritism takes place everywhere, there is no escaping it.
With regards to DU, i have never lived there but do agree with ur point. However, how is it fair that a stupid army officer dictates how i should lead my life.
I l tell you exactly y i dont think the CTG is not doing a good job.
They have announced they are gonna be in power for 2 years. So, creating a free and fair climate for the election should no longer be their main agenda and till now it has been. I am sorry it is not acceptable. WE have more pressing issues to deal with.
Prices of commodities have gone out of control. The CTG is taking advice from IMF (yes the organization which has no reputation of doing ne good in ne developing country) and persuing contradictory policies. And when CPD pointed out their mistakes, they just simple acted like arrogant pricks and dissmissed it.

Personally, it takes me an hour to get a CNG to come home from office and to go to my office every morning and it bothers me that the transport advisor is devoting more of his time talking about what sheikh hasina sed and what khaleda zia did.
Thirdly, if i ever need to go shopping for nething non-essential, like books,clothes etc. I have to wait till the end of the week. Andgodforbid if i ever have to go to banks or a govt office (oh i forgot the transport system is not a priority of the CTG)

The height of hypocracy. Arresting a few leaders from both parties, but not dealing with the others who actually take their side. Evicting poor street hawkers and doing nothing about the rangs bulding (yes it has been six months).
Old July 16, 2007, 02:39 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
For once I agree with the Mahfuz Anam editorial below:

This is no way to strengthen democracy
Just as "command economy" failed, so will "command politics"
Mahfuz Anam
The only reason that the caretaker government has survived six months in power, and the chief advisor acknowledges it every time an occasion arises, is because the general public think of it to be an instrument to strengthen democracy.
Could not fully agree with Mahfuz Anam. I do admit his concerns but some of his points lacks logic and shows pre-determined mindset.

What made Sheikh Hasina so special that she will face extortion charge while remain free and others (Jalil, Tareq Rahman, Aman, BaNaHuda) behind the bars?

Royal blood? Political dynasty? We have worshiped them enough, now we have no more place to go behind. Our back can't take much load while placed at the wall. It's time to call a spade, a spade.

While I am aggrieved to see corrupt ex-army officials and secretaries remain free, I am happy to see the possible end of "Royal Political Dynasty" in Bangladesh.

I am all for democracy, but in it's true meaning.
Old July 16, 2007, 02:57 PM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special 1
Clearly you have been out of the country for too long. Well being of citizens have not been enhanced (price hike, traffic and other stufff), better economy (contractionary monitory policy with an ambition of a 7% growth rate with people afaraid to invest). However, they have ensured peace, but at the cost of civil liberty.
Bangladeshe ashen then see for urself.
Interesting, thats not what I hear from all the people living in Bangladesh I talk to. Are you by any chance AL/BNP supporter?
Old July 16, 2007, 03:07 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Bangladesh Chattra League (BCL) has called nationwide general strike to protest Hasina's arrest.

I hope CTG give everyone who call strike a proper lesson. If they fail, this will be the end of the beginning not the other way round.
Old July 16, 2007, 03:09 PM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta

Old July 16, 2007, 03:11 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahmood
Interesting, thats not what I hear from all the people living in Bangladesh I talk to. Are you by any chance AL/BNP supporter?
No i just got back a month ago and am extremely dissapointed with some of the moves the CTG has done. Bhai prothom choy maash any shorkar i khub bhalo perform kore. dekhen ki hoi, erpor?
Well i guess you do talk to people from the same segment of the population. i.e the people who have.
Old July 16, 2007, 03:11 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Wasim Akram

hello Noc, how did u add the picture. Plz tell me the way
Old July 16, 2007, 03:13 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
Bangladesh Chattra League (BCL) has called nationwide general strike to protest Hasina's arrest.

I hope CTG give everyone who call strike a proper lesson. If they fail, this will be the end of the beginning not the other way round.
Chatroder upor choray hoya would be a bad move.
If they want to tackle it, they should do what BNP used to do to AL michils.
Old July 16, 2007, 03:15 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Chatroder upor choray hoya would be a bad move.
If they want to tackle it, they should do what BNP used to do to AL michils.
Ei shob chatro namdhari political gunda der upor chorao hoa aar chatroder upor chorao hoar modhdhe askash patal tofat.

It should be tackled strongly.
Old July 16, 2007, 03:18 PM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandpiper
hello Noc, how did u add the picture. Plz tell me the way
I see, some folks don't look at in Support & Announcements category

Support & Announcements
When can I add a picture with my post?
http://www.banglacricket.com/alochon...ad.php?t=21450
Post#4

Last edited by Nocturnal; July 16, 2007 at 03:27 PM..
Old July 16, 2007, 03:20 PM
Cricket Legend

michil er shob public re jail e dhukao, so that they fear to michil next time without the support of the masses. (definitely majority of the bangladeshis are not concerned about Sheikh Hasina, they are more concerned about the price of essentials to go down and get fertilizers and get water and electricity)
Old July 16, 2007, 03:21 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
Ei shob chatro namdhari political gunda der upor chorao hoa aar chatroder upor chorao hoar modhdhe askash patal tofat.

It should be tackled strongly.
chatro raj niti na banned in BD?

CTG needs to develop a new law. If any wing of a party creates mischief or disrupts the flow of life in any city, per day that party would have to pay 1 crore to the Govt. The money would be automatically transfered to BD Treasury from the party's bank account. BD will not see any hortal or strike from there on.
Old July 16, 2007, 03:23 PM
Retired BC Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
For once I agree with the Mahfuz Anam editorial..
Please allow me to comment on just two quotes from that editorial:

Quote:
We accept that we made some bad choices in the past. We accept that our leaders, including Sheikh Hasina and Khaleda Zia, betrayed our trust in many cases and over many years. We also agree that we got tired and fed up with confrontational and destructive politics and that we all yearned for a change. But we never agreed to bargain our democracy for 'knights in shining armour' to save us from dire straits.
Bad choices? I think even 'worst' wouldn't come close. And 'bargain our democracy', what democracy, did we have any, ever? If the right to cast votes is the starting of democracy, it pretty much ends right there. The candidate list sports big names with even bigger repertoire featuring mostly if not all alleged murderers, spies, smugglers, thieves and the likes thanks to the so-called party ranks running alleged criminal rings in the name of politics. With the alleged anti-socials running the entire show, voters are effectively robbed of their only opportunity to pick the right representation. So much for such democracy!

Quote:
It is attempting to manipulate our politics by trying to predetermine who will be and who will not be a part of its future. This is neither desirable nor doable and even if forced, not sustainable. Every leader possessing slightest bit of integrity will shy away from being a part of this process.
Exactly, anti-socials should not be a part of our future. Can we honestly name a few such leaders who possess slightest bit of that kind of integrity?

What is desirable is to get rid of the corrupt elements from the society as much as possible. And I'm quite ready to take a few pain for that greater gain.
Old July 16, 2007, 03:24 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by allrounder
michil er shob public re jail e dhukao, so that they fear to michil next time without the support of the masses. (definitely majority of the bangladeshis are not concerned about Sheikh Hasina, they are more concerned about the price of essentials to go down and get fertilizers and get water and electricity)
Exaclty. Except for our advisors, who are more interested in it.
Old July 16, 2007, 03:29 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Wasim Akram

THANKUUUUUUUU
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnal
I see, some folks don't look at in Support & Announcements category

Support & Announcements
When can I add a picture with my post?
http://www.banglacricket.com/alochon...ad.php?t=21450
Post#4
Old July 16, 2007, 03:32 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaman

Bad choices? I think even 'worst' wouldn't come close. And 'bargain our democracy', what democracy, did we have any, ever? If the right to cast votes is the starting of democracy, it pretty much ends right there. The candidate list sports big names with even bigger repertoire featuring mostly if not all alleged murderers, spies, smugglers, thieves and the likes thanks to the so-called party ranks running alleged criminal rings in the name of politics. With the alleged anti-socials running the entire show, voters are effectively robbed of their only opportunity to pick the right representation. So much for such democracy!

Exactly, anti-socials should not be a part of our future. Can we honestly name a few such leaders who possess slightest bit of that kind of integrity?

What is desirable is to get rid of the corrupt elements from the society as much as possible. And I'm quite ready to take a few pain for that greater gain.
I guess your post sums up the midset of a lot of the people in this board.
A few pain for the greater gain. However, there is this other possibility. A few pain just in vain taking the country down the drain (haha ). But seriously, what guarantee is there that the new leadership will be better than what existed. And on a more serious note, shouldnt it be the people who decides rather than a few army officers a few intellectual and a few expats.
Its very easy to pick out one issue and fix it, but in the grand scheme of things everything becomes fuzzy. I have a feeling the CTG has lost its plot. it has to realise it is here for two years and should fix its priorities accordingly. They have to realise that they have no accountability and they cannot falter.
Old July 16, 2007, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaman

Quote:
We accept that we made some bad choices in the past. We accept that our leaders, including Sheikh Hasina and Khaleda Zia, betrayed our trust in many cases and over many years. We also agree that we got tired and fed up with confrontational and destructive politics and that we all yearned for a change. But we never agreed to bargain our democracy for 'knights in shining armour' to save us from dire straits.
Bad choices? I think even 'worst' wouldn't come close. And 'bargain our democracy', what democracy, did we have any, ever? If the right to cast votes is the starting of democracy, it pretty much ends right there. The candidate list sports big names with even bigger repertoire featuring mostly if not all alleged murderers, spies, smugglers, thieves and the likes thanks to the so-called party ranks running alleged criminal rings in the name of politics. With the alleged anti-socials running the entire show, voters are effectively robbed of their only opportunity to pick the right representation. So much for such democracy!...
I'm glad you made these points. I find Mahfuz Anam's article very hypocritical on this issue of "bargaining democracy" or as a poster above has alluded "trading off civil liberties".

I concur fully with Miraz Bhai's brief account of the history of governance in Bangladesh. Since 1996-97 even as a class 6-7 student we could feel how "civil liberties" and "security of life and property" and "freedom of expression" (remember Joynal Hajari's men beating up Journalist Tipu Sultan ?) was becoming a more and more endangered ideal. It was more at threat from people not part of the state apparatus that was meant to have monopoly over force, but by general people-turned-criminals who were protected from the (in our case, broken) arm of the law. We could feel how the entire administration (including military) was becoming compromised, corrupted and convoluted with rot by political hands.

It is hypocritical for us then to condemn an arguably "pragmatic" step, following due process of law (thus far) to bring those responsible for that undeniable violation of, yes, Fundamental Democratic rights and argue against it with the words "democracy and civil liberties".

Of course, as citizens who have hope for the improvement of our daily lives, we have to hold the interim government responsible to see that our day-to-day needs are addressed. But thats a different issue compared to bringing to justice those who are accused of doing everything against justice.
Old July 16, 2007, 03:54 PM
Cricket Sage

Mr. Ajam J. Chowdhury filed an extortion case in June 13th this year. here is the FIR Report (published in the Daily Star and now in dristipat

Quote:
In the June 12 first information report (FIR), Azam mentioned that Shiekh Hasina’s cousin the then lawmaker Sheikh Selim tried to be local agent of the Russian company TPE. Selim on different occasions tried to influence the TPE chief to serve his purpose, he added.
As all his attempts turned futile, Selim started putting pressure, and Azam met Selim at his Banani residence with the proposal of appointing him consultant for the second phase of the work and told him that he would be given a large amount of commission during the phase, the FIR said.
Angry at the proposal, Selim threatened to stop the work with the help of Hasina (the then PM) if the commission was not paid. Negotiations on payment of the money continued at Selim’s residence.
Selim also threatened that the complainant would not be able to withdraw any bill from the PDB if he failed to pay him commission from the work. Threats were issued between June and July, 2000, the complainant said.
In July, 2000, they reached a verbal agreement for payment of two per cent commission amounting $5.8 lakh (equivalent to a little over Tk 2.99 crore) to Selim, Azam said. The commission was paid at Selim’s residence in eight cheques of Standard Chartered Bank and Southeast Bank from October 24, 2000 to February 14, 2001, he added.
Selim did not interfere with the work after getting the commission, the complainant said, adding that many people including executives of his company are aware of the payment of commission to Selim.
Old July 16, 2007, 03:54 PM
Retired BC Admin

Quote:
However, there is this other possibility. A few pain just in vain taking the country down the drain (haha ). But seriously, what guarantee is there that the new leadership will be better than what existed. And on a more serious note, shouldnt it be the people who decides rather than a few army officers a few intellectual and a few expats.
Please feel free to share with us if you have a better plan, rest assured I'll be the first one to support it.

You are right, there is no 'gurantee' for the future. Hopefully the prospect of punishment will be compelling enough for the future leaders to stay clear of corruption. A better system of catching those corruptions at an early stage as well as to ensure appropriate justice will be of assistance too.

And yes, people should decide. However, people has the power to vote but the corrupt leaders have the power to decide who will be on the list for the voters to vote for. With a candidate list full of criminals how far the people can go with that so called almighty voting power?
Old July 16, 2007, 03:55 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

I think there is NO reason to get alarmed just because Hasina is arrested. She is not above the law... if there are specific allegation against her she should be tried in the court of law (I believe the allegations against her are quite specific... the law advisor was saying that they collected the specific bank check number). I believe the court is more free and independent, compared to BNP and AL era. So she should get a fair Judgement.

If hasina is sent to jail without a proper trial then nobody will accept it. The media is Bangladesh is will analyze every step of the trial... so I am not too worried.

BTW, what do you guy think of the DS report
Quote:
"Can I use my phone?" Hasina asked as members of the joint forces entered her room on the first floor of Sudha Sadhan at around 6:00am.Getting a positive reply, she picked up her mobile and starting making a few calls to her son Joy, AL leader Sahara Khatun and few others. The last person she called was Law Adviser Barrister Mainul Husein.
"This is not a good thing you are doing," a member of the joint forces quoted Hasina to have told Mainul. "I will soon come out free. And then none will be spared. Not even you."
She reportedly told Mainul that in the past he had visited her for help, and he would do so in the future as well.
This is her version of the "Rule of Law"... and some people feel sorry for her!

When talking about the arbitrariness of hasina's arrest in the DS report did not talk about the actual evidence of the case... I would have loved to see them analyze the merit of the case.

BTW, I agree with Miraz bhai's views expressed in the last couple of posts... especially his account of history from Ershad days to 2006.

Last edited by cricket_pagol; July 16, 2007 at 04:01 PM..
Old July 16, 2007, 04:02 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahmood
LOL you need to ask?