facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Match Archive

Match Archive Relive the match-time passion (Read Only)

Old October 6, 2006, 10:30 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafiq

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpurush
It seems Ashraful is getting his final chance to prove himself to be selected for BD.
How can be sure. He is making people fool for long time!!!

Old October 6, 2006, 10:32 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_dorshok
Why he needs to speak hindi!!! This is ridiculous. He could try to speak english, if he can't simply speak BANGLA, the reporter will manage interpretor. What they think, if they can speak hindi/urdu they will be smarter/upper class citizen. These type of people should not represent Country.
I don't understand why do we make a so big deal out of language. He was simply speaking the language of those people who asked him the questions. This is called a friendly attitude/courtesy. When would we get this?

And if he was asked the questions in English, two factors come into play as to what language he should answer (bangla/hindi/urdu); one is the audience he is addressing and second is the person who questioned him.

As far as understanding urdu / hindi goes, I bet atleast 80% of our population watch bollywood movies and they would not watch if they don't understand what's going on in the movie.
Old October 6, 2006, 10:35 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasifkhan
Just saw an interview of Ashraful in ESPN ..... I didnt understand a word what he was saying as that picchi was speaking HINDI.......
Didn't understand what you meant. Since I didnot see the interview so please clarify.
1. Is his hindi speaking that bad that we can't understand? or
2. You don't understand Hindi?
Old October 6, 2006, 10:35 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Maybe he is trying out for the indian team!!!
Old October 6, 2006, 10:38 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehsan
I don't understand why do we make a so big deal out of language. He was simply speaking the language of those people who asked him the questions. This is called a friendly attitude/courtesy. When would we get this?
He is in India not for his honeymoon rather represtenting his country. He should be very careful in representing country.
Quote:
And if he was asked the questions in English, two factors come into play as to what language he should answer (bangla/hindi/urdu);
If he was asked the questions in english, why does he think even to answer in hindi/urdu when he is a representative of Bangladesh.

Last edited by cricket_dorshok; October 6, 2006 at 10:45 AM..
Old October 6, 2006, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaridpurChicago
This is the first bad thing happened. Meh and Rajin is left out. This means that Ash is going to be the partner of SN. Losing first wicket in 3rd over will create extra pressure. This won't allow Aftab to play his natural game. There was every chance of Aftab hitting another 50 in 40 balls. Now after the early loss of Ash, Aftab will be out at 30 after spending 50 balls. We'll be missing a solid opening partnership as well as the service of Aftab.
I can't simply accept this.
Settle down my friend! We have to remember we are playing against SL!! Rajin is not a "A" class batter though his devotion for the team is simply great. And Mehrab is a new kid in the block!! He was not tested yet against the big guns!!! Therefore, playing them is a gamble. Though, playing Ashraful is a high-steak gamble! The team mgt. has choosen the high risk one to cash more profit. It's like do or die!!
Herlay Kismot Ali (like me!!!)...jitle Tareq Ali(Our future prime-minister-one of the richest man of our country!).
Old October 6, 2006, 10:51 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
He is in India not for his honeymoon rather represtenting his country. He should be very careful in representing country.

If he was asked the questions in english, why does think even to answer in hindi/urdu when you are representative of Bangladesh.
As far as the representation goes, courtesy and attitude matter most to me. Not the language.

The only reason he can speak in other languages is the audience he is addressing. And definitely the person who asked him the question would not get a meaning out of what he said if he spoke in Bangla. Again, you don't want a representative of your country to say something that most people wouldn't understand, which even for a bit would make him look like a fool. Further if he can speak in hindi it would showcase his talent and ability to speak different languages.

We gotta learn to take it easy. Say, I am a guy who can speak only desi languages - bangla/urdu/hindi. Someones comes to me and asks me a question in english, I didn't understand whatever the heck he said. I ask him in Bangla as to what he said, and I figure he does not understand Bangla. So, I ask him in hindi/urdu as to what he said. This does not make me any what less Bangladeshi or love Bangladesh less than those who can't speak hindi/urdu.

It's just about communication and friendly gesture, thats what we should keep in mind and learn to take things easy.

Anyways, it was really an OFF-TOPIC discussion. If you get it good, or else we move on.
Old October 6, 2006, 10:59 AM

Quote:
How can be sure. He is making people fool for long time!!!
I think it is not Ashraful but our selectors and BCB. Why they kept him in the squad? Because...there is no set standards how to select the team in our country! And as Ashraful thinks his position in the team is given, there is no need to play with 110% effort!! Very simple equation!!!
Old October 6, 2006, 11:01 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

In Europe (main land), people know atleast 3+ different languages. This allows them to communicate better around the world. They are not uptight on speaking in mother tongue to relay a message. That is what Ehsan is trying to say. Communicating with other languages is not bad as long as he/she is fluent in that. As for representing, just giving a decent, humble interview he can represent Bangladesh in any language he is comfortable with. One must think of the audience too in an interview.
Old October 6, 2006, 11:04 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
As far as the representation goes, courtesy and attitude matter most to me. Not the language.

The only reason he can speak in other languages is the audience he is addressing. And definitely the person who asked him the question would not get a meaning out of what he said if he spoke in Bangla. Again, you don't want a representative of your country to say something that most people wouldn't understand, which even for a bit would make him look like a fool. Further if he can speak in hindi it would showcase his talent and ability to speak different languages.

We gotta learn to take it easy. Say, I am a guy who can speak only desi languages - bangla/urdu/hindi. Someones comes to me and asks me a question in english, I didn't understand whatever the heck he said. I ask him in Bangla as to what he said, and I figure he does not understand Bangla. So, I ask him in hindi/urdu as to what he said. This does not make me any what less Bangladeshi or love Bangladesh less than those who can't speak hindi/urdu.

It's just about communication and friendly gesture, thats what we should keep in mind and learn to take things easy.

Anyways, it was really an OFF-TOPIC discussion. If you get it good, or else we move on.
Well bro, my way and feeling to represent my country is totally different from yours. I respect yours too, but don't want to continue any discussion anymore. Sorry for off topic discussion.
Old October 6, 2006, 11:05 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:

Whatever logic you make Ehsan bhai there is no excuse here. You simply can't speak Hindi where you are representing your country. If ESPN people don't understand Bangla then they should go to a translator to get the meaning or they should not approach to Ashraful at all. But they did and even if Ash would speak Bangla then they won't mind, indeed they would respect him, as he would be respecting his mother language.

It is not a matter of skill as you said, it is a matter of pride. If you wana show your skill then go to Bollywood movies.

ওইখানে আমিও আছি /যেইখানে সূর্য উদয়/প্রিয়দেশ পাল্টে দেবো/তুমি আর আমি বোধহয়/কমরেড, তৈরি থেকো/গায়ে মাখো আলতা বরণ/আমি তুমি আমি তুমি/এভাবেই লক্ষ চরণ
Old October 6, 2006, 11:16 AM
Cricket Legend

Some of our fellow members think talking into another's language is a courtesy! Did you ever found any Indian is doing that courtesy to you? It has lately become a fashion that whenever we meet some Indian, we need to prove that we can speak Hindi. Do those Indian ever try to speak in Bengali?

See my friends, Bengali is the language for which we gave bloods. This is our mother language, our heart’s language. First of all use English as international language, If someone does not understand English, why to use other language than your own? There is no shame on it. Rather it proves your love and passion for your mother tongue.

Agree that by the help of satellite channels, even a kid can speak in Hindi in Bangladesh now a days. But while representing a nation, if English is not acceptable, then we should not use any other language than our own mother language. One personal thing, I studied in India and now I work in a multinational company in Denmark and there are few Indians here around. When I met them, they start talking in Hindi and when I reply in English, they say, how come you don't speak Hindi although you are from Bangladesh? Then I get my chance to explain - my language is Bengali and this is the only language in whole world for which people scarified their lives.

And I love my mother tongue, I am proud to be a Bangladeshi.

Apologize for becoming emotional a bit and making match thread a language thread.
Old October 6, 2006, 11:19 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Cricket_dorshok,
Don't be sorry. You and me are both different kinds. But it was off-topic and I wanna close down that discussion here.

SMHasan,
It is not about Bollywood movies, it is not about pride. It is about communication just the way tigers_eye put it. The pride is in yourself, you can showcase your pride by performing, by winning, not by language. It just does not make sense to me why a lot of us take the language matter so hard. If he was speaking in English, I am sure you would have been fine. But if he speaks Hindi/Urdu he is culprit. So, for the "pride" shouldn't we all speak or inteview in Bangla all the time?

Anyways, I know there are a lot of us who would disagree with me. But I don't wanna go on and continue explaining this, because no matter how I try you guys would not get it.
Old October 6, 2006, 11:31 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Cricket_dorshok,
Don't be sorry. You and me are both different kinds. But it was off-topic and I wanna close down that discussion here.

SMHasan,
It is not about Bollywood movies, it is not about pride. It is about communication just the way tigers_eye put it. The pride is in yourself, you can showcase your pride by performing, by winning, not by language. It just does not make sense to me why a lot of us take the language matter so hard. If he was speaking in English, I am sure you would have been fine. But if he speaks Hindi/Urdu he is culprit. So, for the "pride" shouldn't we all speak or inteview in Bangla all the time?

Anyways, I know there are a lot of us who would disagree with me. But I don't wanna go on and continue explaining this, because no matter how I try you guys would not get it.
Likewise some people told in 1952 to why to care about Urdu being our national language, we would learn few more languages. But do you think Salam, Barkat, Rafiq were stupid? Why they thought Bengali is a big deal?

I know your answer will be, that was different case and the question was of national language. Yes, but remember, all those come from inside the heart and many people think language as a big thing - no matter if you agree or not.
Old October 6, 2006, 11:31 AM
Test Cricketer

good luck BD
Old October 6, 2006, 11:38 AM
ODI Cricketer

< Deleted >
Old October 6, 2006, 11:38 AM
Club Cricketer

hi guys, can anyone tell me if directtv is showing the CT in US or is it only dish network???
hopefully bd will roar tonite.
btw, is ash opening today?? thats what it seems like according to the newspapers.
Old October 6, 2006, 11:39 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

sar2005,
Thanks for taking me into the history. I understand you are a bit emotional. Thus, you mix the worldy things with emotions. I really respect your feelings.

But to me we need be a little easier. Anyways that is how I am. As far as Indians and Pakistanis speaking Bangla goes, I taught some of my friends to speak few words of Bangla. Gujratis, can understand a lot of Bangla words as their style of language is somewhat b/w Bangla and Hindi. Like, Kemcho? = Kemon acho.

Anyways, no more replies from me on this off-topic.

I hope tigers would showcase their pride by performing. GO BD!
Old October 6, 2006, 11:44 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Didn't understand what you meant. Since I didnot see the interview so please clarify.
1. Is his hindi speaking that bad that we can't understand? or
2. You don't understand Hindi?
1. His hindi wasnt that bad ... i was quite amazed to see him speaking hindi....2. I understand Hindi very well...but my question is why he will speak hindi ? beta english paros na bangla bolbi...bangla na parle....chup koira takbi....ato kotha bolar dorkar ki?
Old October 6, 2006, 11:48 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sar2005
Exactly!!!
I guess Rudro just missed that the game is a day-night affair.
spot on, mate!
Old October 6, 2006, 11:49 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
< Deleted >

Thik bolsen bhai, i completly agree with u. i was in pakistan when i was young and as such can communicate in urdu/hindi perfectly, but i get really pissed of everytime an indian or pakistani comes up to me and starts talkin in urdu or hindi. they assume that i know hindi. i always reply back to them in bengali to get my point across to them
Old October 6, 2006, 12:00 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Hambaa!
Old October 6, 2006, 12:02 PM
ODI Cricketer

Eita re language thread banaia ar ekta match thread khul le kemon hoy?

We can never solve this language issue. It has been there for years. Due to 1952, 21st February; we are more sensitive on language than any other nation.

Sheikh Mujib addressed in Bangla in UN. A lot of people call it his heroics for uplifting our language. A lot of people call it his deceiving ignorance in speaking English. Still the matter is unresolved.

We can't solve it here. Let's move on with tigers.
Old October 6, 2006, 12:04 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpurush
And Mehrab is a new kid in the block!! He was not tested yet against the big guns!!! Therefore, playing them is a gamble.
Sorry thik bujlam na. Is there any better way to expose Mehrab against big guns without taking that gamble. Whether we try him now or one year later, we still have to bite the bullet and take gamble whether its now or in future. He already proved that he can perform in team-a level and he is in his best of his form.

So we cannot by-pass that "gamble step" ..... Can we? Thats how Bashar, Ash, Nafis, Aftab, Razzak came in this team and thats how Mehrab will have to try his luck... there is no other easy way. And unless we let him fight against the best, we will never know whether he is a real deal or bhua.
Old October 6, 2006, 12:12 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
1. His hindi wasnt that bad ... i was quite amazed to see him speaking hindi....2. I understand Hindi very well...but my question is why he will speak hindi ? beta english paros na bangla bolbi...bangla na parle....chup koira takbi....ato kotha bolar dorkar ki?

There was a case when our ex manager spoke urdu in Pakistan and he was well deservedly critized. I don't see any difference here also. There is no point trying to justify this case also. I know lots of Indians start speeking Hindi with me, and when I say to them that sorry I don't understand Hindi, they make such a face that as if I have done a crime. Money Hoe Galey Akta Thappor Mari.