facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old March 8, 2007, 06:56 PM
Test Cricketer

I hope khaleda's and Hasina's family do not return to our politics. These two parties had their chance; they spoiled it by looting the country. I want election with new parties and new people leading them. This 2 parties and their thieves supporters should spend rest of their time in jail.

Old March 8, 2007, 07:29 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

Daily Star is having great time belting out at Tarek Rahman. No wonder people question it's neutrality.

How could BNP come to this stage?
Old March 9, 2007, 02:01 AM
Cricket Legend

It may be a rumour but can someone verify:
Mamun - right hand of Tareq Zia has been severly tortured and some were afraid he might be half-dead because of this treatment. He has been under detention and perhaps authority doesn't want him to show in public in this condition and kept him under detention.

This has been a strong 'rumour'. Anyone has any info?
Old March 9, 2007, 02:40 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien
Daily Star is having great time belting out at Tarek Rahman. No wonder people question it's neutrality.

How could BNP come to this stage?
Belting out at Tareq Zia is in not making DS anti-BNP. It's a pro-Bangladesh thing.
Old March 9, 2007, 05:27 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rio
Belting out at Tareq Zia is in not making DS anti-BNP. It's a pro-Bangladesh thing.

Yes it is pro Bangladeshi, but it makes DS anti-BNP when they refrain from strongly criticizing Al actions but dont hesitate inc riticisng BNP.

Not that I care about either of those 2 thieves!
Old March 9, 2007, 08:33 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rio
It's only pro-Bangladesh thing when both crooks get spanked at the same time. Mahfuz Anam's column has more BAL-tone than BAL website articles, thats if you follow Daily Star.
Old March 9, 2007, 08:41 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsd3
It may be a rumour but can someone verify:
Mamun - right hand of Tareq Zia has been severly tortured and some were afraid he might be half-dead because of this treatment. He has been under detention and perhaps authority doesn't want him to show in public in this condition and kept him under detention.

This has been a strong 'rumour'. Anyone has any info?
I heard that after he was arrested, he didn't talk for a few days. So as you know, the Bangladeshi non-pharmaceutical medicine is Bangla-dholai. But what I've read in newspapers is that he's now giving quite a lot of detailed info about Tarek's wealth outside Bangladesh, and that's why he's been taken by the authority to those countries that Tarek allegedly has invested in. I know that in Malayasia he owns a mall (which someone quite interestingly pointed out as the biggest mall in the world...joker!!!), and definitely he'ld have some kind of property in UK, US, and Australia (3 big spots for investing your chorai maal).

Having said all these, I think the reason Mamun's not shown on TV is bcoz he's in world tour right now...but may be mair kheye ore thota mukh bhota hoye gese. Only time will tell. Personally, I wouldn't worry about these criminals. My philosophy is, human rights should be observed for those people who themselves observe it. If people don't observe it, then they don't fall under that policy.
Old March 9, 2007, 09:22 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
My philosophy is, human rights should be observed for those people who themselves observe it. If people don't observe it, then they don't fall under that policy.

Right. If you want to treat advance stage cancer you need harsh medicine like chemo, simple aspirin regimen would kill the patient.
Old March 9, 2007, 09:25 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
(which someone quite interestingly pointed out as the biggest mall in the world...joker!!!), .

This is quite common in BD newpapers. The other day I was reading that they siezed someone's Hummer (BTW, they wrote Hammer in Bangla) and the cost of the vehicle in 7 crore, which is over a million dollars! They often don't bother checking the facts.
Old March 9, 2007, 10:25 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatekeeper
This is quite common in BD newpapers. The other day I was reading that they siezed someone's Hummer (BTW, they wrote Hammer in Bangla) and the cost of the vehicle in 7 crore, which is over a million dollars! They often don't bother checking the facts.
its not just the cost of the hummer my friend...
u also have to take account of the tax and import duty you hv to pay for the car...
and remember, BD got a very high tax rate on those suv's...

Lets just say... a H3 would cost you around USD 50,000 ( if im not mistaken)...
which is around BDT 3,500,000....
but then u hv tax+import duty+registration... it would near a total of around a crore taka...

but the truth is, they paid only 35 lakh taka for it... this guys knows how to cheat the system and in the process the govt would loose out on massive income from the all those added costs...

its true our journos dont check the facts..but then again..how many people in BD have ever heard a "car" named "Hummer" ?
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]

Last edited by Rabz; March 9, 2007 at 10:34 AM..
Old March 9, 2007, 10:36 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

There were only two hummers in Dhaka, one yellow and and one white. One driven by Khaleda's bodyguards (while PM). The tax is 200% on new SUVs/sports cars (BMWs/Benz/Porche etc.). So if a car is 90k (US dollars) the car price goes to $270k. aquivalent to 1.8 crore Bd taka.

Now I know there are lamborghinis, bugattis and ferraris which cost $250k. If those are brought in BD it will be something like 6/8 crore easy. When politicians steal thousands of crores 6/8 crore is nothing to them.
Old March 9, 2007, 11:40 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney
its not just the cost of the hummer my friend...
u also have to take account of the tax and import duty you hv to pay for the car...
and remember, BD got a very high tax rate on those suv's...

Lets just say... a H3 would cost you around USD 50,000 ( if im not mistaken)...
which is around BDT 3,500,000....
but then u hv tax+import duty+registration... it would near a total of around a crore taka...

but the truth is, they paid only 35 lakh taka for it... this guys knows how to cheat the system and in the process the govt would loose out on massive income from the all those added costs...

its true our journos dont check the facts..but then again..how many people in BD have ever heard a "car" named "Hummer" ?

MY FRIEND, do the calculation yourself. The final figure is nowhere near 7 crore.

I am quite aware of import duties and othe taxes.
Old March 9, 2007, 11:42 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
There were only two hummers in Dhaka, one yellow and and one white. One driven by Khaleda's bodyguards (while PM). The tax is 200% on new SUVs/sports cars (BMWs/Benz/Porche etc.). So if a car is 90k (US dollars) the car price goes to $270k. aquivalent to 1.8 crore Bd taka.

Now I know there are lamborghinis, bugattis and ferraris which cost $250k. If those are brought in BD it will be something like 6/8 crore easy. When politicians steal thousands of crores 6/8 crore is nothing to them.
A small correction.I think there are more than 2 hummers in Bangladesh. Partex group itself has two hummers. There is a yellow one where I live in Dhaka, the black one of Enayet and the white one you are talking about. These are the ones I know of and maybe there might be more.
Old March 9, 2007, 11:44 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

Funny thing is all that money for the driver to drive the car lucky SOB. Hammer driver that is...
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled

Last edited by akabir77; March 9, 2007 at 12:28 PM..
Old March 9, 2007, 11:44 AM
Cricket Legend

AL thug Obaidul Kader in the bag.
Old March 9, 2007, 11:53 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatekeeper
A fully loaded Hummer may cost you close to USD 70K. But the fact of the matter is, there is literally only a few people who can afford Hummber in Bangladesh without kalo taka. When I left BD there wasn't a Hummer there, but now there's two. There wasn't a Ferrari or Porche, Lamborgini, etc. Now there's all that. How? Did the country get richer? I guess not. But reports say that some of these politicians' wealth have increased over 400% in just 2 years.

The fact of the matter is, yes may be the numbers don't convert properly even after 200% tax and what not. But that doesn't negate the fact that these are expensive vehicles that not even 0.00001% of the people of our country can afford.
Old March 9, 2007, 12:08 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
A fully loaded Hummer may cost you close to USD 70K. But the fact of the matter is, there is literally only a few people who can afford Hummber in Bangladesh without kalo taka. When I left BD there wasn't a Hummer there, but now there's two. There wasn't a Ferrari or Porche, Lamborgini, etc. Now there's all that. How? Did the country get richer? I guess not. But reports say that some of these politicians' wealth have increased over 400% in just 2 years.

The fact of the matter is, yes may be the numbers don't convert properly even after 200% tax and what not. But that doesn't negate the fact that these are expensive vehicles that not even 0.00001% of the people of our country can afford.
My argument is not about the affordabilty or the actual price of a Hummer. I was refering to the irresponsible practice of certain sectors of BD media.
Old March 9, 2007, 01:30 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien
It's only pro-Bangladesh thing when both crooks get spanked at the same time. Mahfuz Anam's column has more BAL-tone than BAL website articles, thats if you follow Daily Star.
Does it matter what is the tone? It matters whether it is true or not.
Truth is always bitter.

Here is the prescription for you:
You need to take some sweets while you are reading the Daily Star. Atleast lick some chocolates.

Old March 9, 2007, 02:32 PM
Cricket Legend

what is up with these big politicians and businessman to have a mini zoo at their backyard, with deers, peacock and other wildlife caged at their homes?
Old March 9, 2007, 04:26 PM
Cricket Guru

Mmmmm duck_pion, that chocolate figure looks so tasty. I never thought I'ld find a frog tasty :p
Old March 9, 2007, 04:35 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

Quote:
Originally Posted by allrounder
what is up with these big politicians and businessman to have a mini zoo at their backyard, with deers, peacock and other wildlife caged at their homes?
I know the bal party guy from mirpur (i forgot his name and he is my relative!!!) got an royal bengol tiger in his summer house in shaber...
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old March 9, 2007, 04:45 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

having deer or peacock is silly stuff. The Govt don't even need to go there. Anyone can have two deers (bought from the zoo) and they multiply. That's all legal. Govt need to focus on the real black money issues. The crores deals. Was anyone from Boshunddhora group of industry got any indictment?
Old March 9, 2007, 05:29 PM
Test Cricketer

One Hummer went from here in Dallas. One of our school friend bought it and send it to BD !!!
Old March 9, 2007, 05:42 PM
Cricket Legend

WOW....You guys know the exact numbers of Hummers in Dhaka with their colors!!
You must have good eyes for observing vehicles.
By the way, how many Corollas are there?
Old March 9, 2007, 05:49 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by babubangla
WOW....You guys know the exact numbers of Hummers in Dhaka with their colors!!
You must have good eyes for observing vehicles.
By the way, how many Corollas are there?