facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 10, 2010, 06:19 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Ryan Ten Doeschate

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakibrulz
I bet this tier system and crap is not the solution for test cricket's survival. Just play in good sporty pitches and play lest crap20. Organize more matches @ England, Aussies etc.

And just because someone feel 50 overs ODI is boring, ICC should shorten it to 40 overs? LMAO.

Middle overs (15-35) overs are crucial in the ODIs. You can't just shorten that part. That part is what tests the batsman's temperament, and playing an anchor innings.

Cricket ignorants can stick with T20s, no more 'improvements' to the existing formats, pretty please. They've already killed ODI & Tests by introducing crap20.
How can you remove T20 after the phenomenon called IPL ? It has become the biggest bread earner of cricket.I agree that it should be played less than at the international level.

Once something is done you cannot reverse it,you have to think what now or next.

I enjoyed watching odis till the 2007 ICC world cup , the long & rain interupted matches made it really boring.Now i enjoy watching only the first 8 matches of KKR.

As for relegation i say if a team like WI is relegated it will only motivate them to come back strong.

Old August 10, 2010, 11:55 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Richard Hadlee, Shakib

Whatever the format of your choosing, the following fact is undeniable:

Test cricket cannot survive purely because of finances without the existance of ODI adn T20. Note that those two weren't created to kill Test cricket but simply evolved because of the dire situation Test cricket is/was financially. So in order to keep Test cricket alive, funding is required and that will come from the limited formats.

Having said that, the decision for ICC is really on whether to keep Test cricket as an 'elite' match for selected nations (which it has been from inception) or one of the tools for global growth. If its the first then initially nothing much will change and eventually the laws of profit will kill Test cricket in WI and then work itself up ZIM, NZ, PAK, BD until Test is nothing more than an annual Ashes campaign.

Growth doesn't make much sense in this format barring the inclusion of IRE and maybe one or two more (KEN, AFG) as countries will most likely not invest in the infrastructure required to play Tests.

The only logical solution I see is to create a championship over a short time period (no more than 4 years) where every team has a fair chance of advancing. Bi lateral series without a purpose shoudl be abolished from the ICC calendar and handled by the boards on their own without disrupting the ICC schedule.

The growth focus should be with T20 via olympics and drawn out qualification zones for the world cup every two years.
Old August 10, 2010, 12:10 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Yup ! Like it or not, without ODI's and now T20's, test cricket can't survive.
Old August 10, 2010, 03:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseshah
Take away pakistan"s test status
Bangladesh has better chance of losing it.
Old August 10, 2010, 09:20 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
if the 2nd tier has official Test status, sure. if it also means there will be matches between members of different tiers, sure.

otherwise we will get what we are getting now. India refuses to play Pakistan for political reasons. now they can add that pakistan bat worse than minnows. India refuses to host BD or ZIM. WI are minnows too so they won't get to tour anytime soon. fine. that leaves just england, australia, south africa, and NZ and SL to play. when the other countries are busy, u get 15 series of India and SL.

that can't be good for cricket.
otherwise, i think its just a giant step backwards.
It does not make sense if there is a tier without any sort of relegation process. I do not think PAK, WI, NZ or even Lanka will agree on a tier like that. Now if they offer a 8 team tier and fix it this is when we lose like the above scenario. I say 2-tier with 5-6teams in each, and if you see my post all these pros are depending on that one norm. Relegation is a must.
Old August 10, 2010, 11:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynman
Whatever the format of your choosing, the following fact is undeniable:

Test cricket cannot survive purely because of finances without the existance of ODI adn T20. Note that those two weren't created to kill Test cricket but simply evolved because of the dire situation Test cricket is/was financially. So in order to keep Test cricket alive, funding is required and that will come from the limited formats.

Having said that, the decision for ICC is really on whether to keep Test cricket as an 'elite' match for selected nations (which it has been from inception) or one of the tools for global growth. If its the first then initially nothing much will change and eventually the laws of profit will kill Test cricket in WI and then work itself up ZIM, NZ, PAK, BD until Test is nothing more than an annual Ashes campaign.

Growth doesn't make much sense in this format barring the inclusion of IRE and maybe one or two more (KEN, AFG) as countries will most likely not invest in the infrastructure required to play Tests.

The only logical solution I see is to create a championship over a short time period (no more than 4 years) where every team has a fair chance of advancing. Bi lateral series without a purpose shoudl be abolished from the ICC calendar and handled by the boards on their own without disrupting the ICC schedule.

The growth focus should be with T20 via olympics and drawn out qualification zones for the world cup every two years.
I say we should focus entirely on Test cricket at the international level and restrict T20s to WT20 once in 2 years & domestic T20 leagues and get rid of that boring 50 ovs ODIs.This will remove both the overkill and boredom and save the real cricket.What do you say ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by One World
It does not make sense if there is a tier without any sort of relegation process. I do not think PAK, WI, NZ or even Lanka will agree on a tier like that. Now if they offer a 8 team tier and fix it this is when we lose like the above scenario. I say 2-tier with 5-6teams in each, and if you see my post all these pros are depending on that one norm. Relegation is a must.
12 Teams in the first tier 2 grps of six

Ex :

Gr A
England
Australia
India
Pakistan
Zimbabwe
Canada

Gr B
New Zealand
Sri Lanka
WI
South Africa
Bangladesh
Ireland

Top 2 of each group into semis then finals and

The last team of each group gets relegated and replaced by new team.What do you think ?
Old August 11, 2010, 10:27 AM
Cricket Legend

My personal preference:

TEST

1. Give IRE status and maybe one other nation
2. Keep Test cricket restricted after that and abandon the idea of growth of this format
3. Have a championship that spans 2 to 3 years
4. All matches outside of the championship will be at the will of the boards and not an official part of the ICC calendar. They will have to be worked around official ICC and other high profile domestic tournaments
5. A championship will give the format more meaning and a reduction of matches outside the championship will reduce injuries, reduce pointless games and allow the players to earn their money in lucrative tournaments (afterall this is their profession).

ODI

1. Retain the 4 year world cup as the flagship event
2. Keep the 2011 format of 14 teams to QF, SF, F
3. Reduce the tournament length by playing multiple 1st round games on the same day

T20

1. Look for this as growth to Olympics and a 2 year world cup with qualifiations for all except host country
2. 3 zonal tournaments for qualification. Zone containing host gets one reduced slot so host can play as well
3. ZONE ASIA : Ind, Pak, SL, BD, Afg, UAE, China etc. / ZONE North : ENG, WI, IRE, SCO, NED, USA etc. / ZONE SOUTH : AUS, NZ, SA, ZIM, KEN etc.
4. Each zone gets 5 direct qualifiers and the 6th position teams play each other for the final and 16th slot
5. WC is 4 groups of 4 with QF, SF and F
Old August 11, 2010, 10:34 AM
Cricket Legend

I would also like to see BD and ZIM partner up to create an annual ODI and T20 4 team tournament. One will host the T20 and one will host the ODI and reverse the following year. It will be ZIM , BD plus two other invited teams. This will give both the teams a chance to play and entice bigger nations to come and tour as the bi lateral series' are difficult to score for BD and ZIM. Plus both countries have a good fanbase to fill stadiums where the non home team is playing. In time this would become a prestigiuos tournament on the calendar that the other teams would become more and more willing to play.
Old August 11, 2010, 11:38 AM
Banned

I feel we should do away with the fifty ovs odi for good

have the world test championship where each team will have to play 12-15 tests every year as per my thread on it

restrict t20 to wt20 olympic asiad ipl and remove all other unnecessary matches and tourneys

this will help viewers to focus on test cricket the real cricket and t20 for the entertaiment crowd and remove the garbage called odi

what do you say ?

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)
Old August 11, 2010, 11:53 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrithik
I feel we should do away with the fifty ovs odi for good

have the world test championship where each team will have to play 12-15 tests every year as per my thread on it

restrict t20 to wt20 olympic asiad ipl and remove all other unnecessary matches and tourneys

this will help viewers to focus on test cricket the real cricket and t20 for the entertaiment crowd and remove the garbage called odi

what do you say ?

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)
12 tests a year is 12x5=60 + minimum 3 days break between each test = 36 + travel + warm up matches. When do you expect these players to be able to play in the domestics or be able to make their earning through the various T20 tournaments? Players will be injured and fatigued left and right with all those that have T20 earning potentials retiring from Test cricket instantly.
Old August 11, 2010, 11:30 PM
Banned

Ok this is the actual calculation including travelling & practise matches

5 test series - 2 months
4 test series - 1.5 months
3 test series - 1 month

12 tests per year max. 4.5 months thus 7.5 months left to play other tourneys

If we do away with the boring garbage odi format & cut out unnecessary t20s it will create a space of atleast 3-4 months

what do you say ?
Old August 12, 2010, 04:52 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: tamim,shafiul,mushy

u think that odi is boring and test is not?
Old August 12, 2010, 05:19 AM
Banned

Test cricket is The Real Cricket and cricket's trademark as it was the first form of the game.It has been played for 133 years compared to 40 years of odi.Test cricket is still there because it's class. It's the ultimate test of temperament, concentration, patience, technique, and captaincy. This is the most important point of saving Tests.

Are you getting it ?

Odi is 8 hrs 100 ovs a day and test 6.5 hrs 90 ovs a day so which is more short ?

Last edited by Hrithik; August 12, 2010 at 06:44 AM..
Old August 12, 2010, 06:02 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
How can you remove T20 after the phenomenon called IPL ? It has become the biggest bread earner of cricket.I agree that it should be played less than at the international level.
When did I ask to remove em? I just said so called 'innovation' ala T20 made the situation this worse. Enough is enough.

Quote:
Once something is done you cannot reverse it,you have to think what now or next.
EXACTLY MY POINT. I think you should think the same before bitchin about all these anti ODI crap. Stop contradicting yourselves, mate.

Quote:
I enjoyed watching odis till the 2007 ICC world cup , the long & rain interupted matches made it really boring.Now i enjoy watching only the first 8 matches of KKR.
As for relegation i say if a team like WI is relegated it will only motivate them to come back strong.
Ah, so the point is, you got bored with ODIs, you want us to agree with you, and also ICC to change the whole system? That makes an awful LOT of sense.

I still love watching ODI cricket, especially the ones in England are a treat with great commentary + awesome pitches. The whole England vs Aussie series, and the Eng vs BD matches to name a few, were damn exciting. So what's your point, exactly?
Old August 12, 2010, 06:07 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Test cricket is The Real Cricket and cricket's trademark as it was the first form of the game.It has been played for 133 years compared to 40 years of odi.This is the most important point of saving Tests.It's history not the entertainment.

Are you getting it ?

Odi is 8 hrs 100 ovs a day and test 6.5 hrs 90 ovs a day so which is more short ?
No, I really ain't mate.

Who says that the first form should be preserved?

And if ODI's were 100+ years old you would argue for it too? Wow.

I perfectly understand your mindset, for heavens sake, stick with T20s. Test cricket is still there because it's class, not just because they played it some 100 years back. It's the ultimate test of temperament, concentration, patience, technique, and captaincy. Unlike the crap20s in which any tom dick and harry can fluke through.

About ODI cricket, 50 overs is Ideal, that is what separates sloggers from genuine batsmen and dart bowlers from good ones. Got it?
Old August 12, 2010, 06:43 AM
Banned

Ok let me get this straight.

ODIs is 8 hours long,too much time consuming and boring even when aus vs pak.T20 is just 3 hours suitable to watch whether on TV or in the stadium though it's not the real cricket but good entertainmemt and it's here to stay.

ODis may be ideal test for a player but it's boredom for the audience and not good for cricket's future.

Please tell me why WI vs SA odis ran in empty stadiums and the domestic odi tourneys run in emty houses unlike IPL ? If you can satify me with the answer i will say odi is not boring.

Test cricket is still there because it's class, not just because they played it some 100 years back. It's the ultimate test of temperament, concentration, patience, technique, and captaincy. Unlike the crap20s in which any tom dick and harry can fluke through.That's why i said it's The Real Cricket and cricket's trademark .

I think the same as you on this alongwith history.
Old August 12, 2010, 09:20 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Ok let me get this straight.

ODIs is 8 hours long,too much time consuming and boring even when aus vs pak.T20 is just 3 hours suitable to watch whether on TV or in the stadium though it's not the real cricket but good entertainmemt and it's here to stay.
That is YOUR OPINION. Why should we agree with you? Aus vs Pak was boring? Please stick with T20, and leave us alone.

Quote:
ODis may be ideal test for a player but it's boredom for the audience and not good for cricket's future.
So is test cricket for cricket ignorants. They can just ignore ODIs and stick to the damn T20s. ODIs and Test is a whole different ball game.

Quote:
Please tell me why WI vs SA odis ran in empty stadiums and the domestic odi tourneys run in emty houses unlike IPL ? If you can satify me with the answer i will say odi is not boring.
Because WI venues suck now? Did the T20 world cup in WI take place in packed houses? Why not? Stop bitching mate. You don't have a point.

Even england vs Bangladesh ODI had reasonably good crowds.

And oh, by the way, I'd rather die than watching sloggers like afridi dominating the limited overs scenario. T20 is crass entertainment for ODI haters like you. Please be content with it. And leave us, poor ODI lovers, alone.
Old August 12, 2010, 10:09 AM
Banned

let me remove this misunderstanding i am not against test cricket i am against the 8 hrs length of odis i am not against t20 just bcoz of ipl

ok answer me why ecb and cricket australia are trialling with pro40 and split innings one dayers if 50 ovs was not boring and unsuccessful format ?

you cant change the truth mate and you dont have a proper answer

you also cant give an anwer to why there are no crowds for domestic 50ovs tourneys give up on this lengthy boring soon to die format mate

Posted via BC Mobile Edition

Last edited by Hrithik; August 12, 2010 at 10:21 AM..
Old August 12, 2010, 10:25 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
let me remove this misunderstanding i am not against test cricket i am against the 8 hrs length of odis i am not against t20 just bcoz of ipl

ok answer me why ecb and cricket australia are trialling with pro40 and split innings one dayers if 50 ovs was not boring and unsuccessful format ?
They think that might work on domestic level, so they proceed with it. Why did they introduce T20? To dumb down cricket innit? For the same reason, and I don't think the Pro40 and stuff is gonna do more harm than good.

Quote:
you cant change the truth mate and you dont have a proper answer
LOL you don't even have a proper point to raise questions here. Your point is basically 'whatever I find interesting should be implemented by ICC.'
Quote:
you also cant give an anwer to why there are no crowds for domestic 50ovs tourneys give up on this lengthy boring soon to die format mate

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Oh so domestic T20s and stuff get large crowds? Let's leave IPL alone, take any other ones, say, Australian Sheffield Shield T20s. They almost get the same crowd for Ford Ranger cup (ODI domestic season) too.

So stop generalizing like that with whatever little you know.
Old August 12, 2010, 11:03 PM
Banned

Ya only the T20 tourneys get some crowd eg. FPt20,IPL,KFC T20 Bash,Stanford T20,MTN T20.

Deodhar Trophy & other odi tourneys runs in empty houses.
Old August 14, 2010, 01:56 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamisa
u think that odi is boring and test is not?
Vital question un answered.

If ODI is boring for being 8 hours bla bla.. , Test cricket should be 500% boring .. 5 days x 8 hours ...

Hrithik, Originally ODI used to be played 40 overs, later it was taken to 50 overs. Experimenting does not mean, it has been accepted. You don't take decisions before the experiments. So wait for the time to know what their findings are and then speculate what might come up.
Old August 14, 2010, 02:50 AM
Banned

i answered the question five or six times plzz read
Old August 14, 2010, 05:01 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Test cricket is The Real Cricket and cricket's trademark as it was the first form of the game.It has been played for 133 years compared to 40 years of odi.Test cricket is still there because it's class. It's the ultimate test of temperament, concentration, patience, technique, and captaincy. This is the most important point of saving Tests.

Are you getting it ?

The only difference I can see is in the last sentence and if I go by the last question, which is more short? Obviously 90 is shorter than 100 overs, again I have to go back to your first paragraph,
Quote:
It's the ultimate test of temperament, concentration, patience, technique, and captaincy. This is the most important point
] that only means on a daily basis, the ODI tests all these things more exaustively than Test cricket, since it is longer, right? so What's the complain?

On every given day of cricket, if you compare a day of test cricket and a day of ODI, the later should attract you more if you really like those aspects of the game you mentioned. But But, if it is just that Test cricket is being played for a long time, so you keep them ahead of ODI, then ODI should be kept ahead of T20 by the same logic.

If we now go back to your original topic, "Test Cricket Has been Murdered" ? I find ODI being Murdered by you. ODI had the same craze like T20 or even much more when it first came, but with like and with introduction of T20 some people's hunger have been met by T20 alone, so you can see less expectators in ODI than before. But surely, when the T20 Craze will settle down, you will find more people in ODi and tests again.

Everyone don't enjoy everything in the same way
Old August 14, 2010, 06:51 AM
Banned

sorry mate that will never happen

tests allow viewers to choose what they will watch partwise

ashes is more popular than any odi tourney

and you forgot the history part 133 years

day night odis are like handicap matches with floodlights and tiredness of the team batting second

if odis finish it will be good for cricket