facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 23, 2015, 03:48 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

^so you have some game but nothing high profile. England might be too scared to play you guys now. Morgan won't get a warm welcome as well.

It will be nice to see IRE getting stronger. The future is very uncertain for Zim and its a good time to replace them as the 10th team. A good rivalry with BD will be interesting.

Old March 23, 2015, 04:51 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donal C

As for the 2019 WC, I genuinely believe the ICC will stick with it this time. Last time they backed down as having no qualifier was I'm pretty sure illegal, now that they've thrown 1 spot for grabs they'll stick it out I think.
^^^ This.

Money grabbing sharks. Under the dark night they approved this. I don't think they will expand either. Hopefully I am wrong.

This Richardson (SA) guy boils my blood. Big time "yes" man. Do you remember his comments on Associates?
Old March 23, 2015, 06:50 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: will let you know after

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockley
I am sorry bangladesh qualified for the t20 world cup,but generally they suck at T20 dunno how to play it,better one day team than T20 team,they need to play it more,if not internationally domestically.
BD players didn't understand t20 well, tamim admitted. Nor, do they have the luxury of having BBL or IPL to help them improve t20 skills. Hopefully, BPL will be back in business soon.
Old March 23, 2015, 07:41 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mash, Mushy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
You can rest assure. ICC will not go with 10 team WC in 2019. Almost everyone from the fans to the experts have spoken against it. They will have to expand. If not then IRE can be the 10th team and Zim will be the 11th.

But how does the rest of the year look for IRE? Are they scheduled to play any test team?
I think Ireland has 1 ODI game against Australia in August and England in May this year. I also hope that a 10 team WC is scrapped, although it is unlikely to happen now. A 10 team WC was suggested for 2015 in the conclusion of the 2011 WC, but it was later scrapped.
Old March 24, 2015, 07:22 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasan2k8
BD players didn't understand t20 well, tamim admitted. Nor, do they have the luxury of having BBL or IPL to help them improve t20 skills. Hopefully, BPL will be back in business soon.
I don't want BPL to happen again. It just exposes our corruption and incompetency to the outside world.
Old March 24, 2015, 07:39 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: The Champion

I fear if we don't start winning VERY CONSISTENTLY, we will end up in qualifiers. 3-0 just gotta be minimum. 2017 isn't really far....it'll go in the blink of an eye. We have to be no. 8 by then. 17 years after test status, if we are still languishing at no.9, then I don't think there has ever been any improvement. All our past achievements won't count.
Old March 24, 2015, 08:28 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Porterfield,Mushy,Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace of BD
I fear if we don't start winning VERY CONSISTENTLY, we will end up in qualifiers. 3-0 just gotta be minimum. 2017 isn't really far....it'll go in the blink of an eye. We have to be no. 8 by then. 17 years after test status, if we are still languishing at no.9, then I don't think there has ever been any improvement. All our past achievements won't count.
Of course there has been improvement, massive improvement in fact. 10 years ago you were losing at home by an innings in tests to a 3rd rate West Indian team. Now you're arguably better.

You went from being ultra positive to negative in the space of like 2 weeks, a lot of people here have in fact.

I think BD have a great chance of being in 8th spot, remember WI away from home are a bit of a joke unless their t20 hacks fire. Get them over for a 5 ODI series and beat them, that should be your short term aim.

If you achieve that then work towards 8th spot. If you lose then prepare for the qualifier
Old March 24, 2015, 08:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donal C
Of course there has been improvement, massive improvement in fact. 10 years ago you were losing at home by an innings in tests to a 3rd rate West Indian team. Now you're arguably better.

You went from being ultra positive to negative in the space of like 2 weeks, a lot of people here have in fact.

I think BD have a great chance of being in 8th spot, remember WI away from home are a bit of a joke unless their t20 hacks fire. Get them over for a 5 ODI series and beat them, that should be your short term aim.

If you achieve that then work towards 8th spot. If you lose then prepare for the qualifier
No buddy, if there's any team that has improved massively, it's your country Ireland. We were supposed to overtake Windies by 2011 WC, but 4 years on, and we're still here. Meanwhile, Ireland manages to defeat the lower ranked teams like Windies and Zim every now and then, and are deservedly climbing up the ranks. Our exit from WC has exposed many weaknesses, but showed Ireland's strength.
Old March 24, 2015, 11:44 AM
Cricket Legend

1 bangladesh loses consistently to test nations in t20.
2 they have lost t20 games against minnows,i remember when scotland beat bangladesh in a t20 game berrington scored a ton.
I wouldn't be suprised if the world cup qualifier is in bangladesh again,icc do not want to be embarressed.

On zimbabwe i don't know where to now its a mystery.
Old March 24, 2015, 12:38 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: will let you know after

Brockley. England lost to Holland twice in T20's. T20 gives any one chance to upset. I dont know why your bombarding BD T20 side We know they are pretty rubbish T20 side, being so thus far... nothing new.

but, I have faith...these new bunch are different. Have better fire power. Look at Soumya, Shabbir No fear .
Old March 25, 2015, 12:06 PM
Cricket Legend

ok fair enough good luck.

I am just stating facts no agenda here.

I know australias' record not so hot hoping finch will turn that around.
Old March 25, 2015, 02:08 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
It is 15+ years actually. None of the current top 8 would voluntarily give up their position to us. It is always an uphill battle. They are funded better, have better history and passion, have their OWN cricket role models (legends) for the upcoming generation to aspire to be something. Our legend is Shakib who is still on his 20s.

To counter your argument...(underlined part)

Eng would say, if 138+ years of Test cricket starting at #1, and we are languishing at #6, then I think there is nothing but disappointment and embarrassment. All our past achievements won't count.

SA would say, if 126+ years of Test cricket starting at #3, and we are still languishing at #3, then I don't think there is any improvement. All our past achievements won't count.

WI would say, if 87+ years of Test cricket starting at #4, and we are languishing at #8, then I think there is nothing but disappointment and embarrassment. All our past achievements won't count.

Pak would say, if 63+ of Test cricket starting at #7, and we are still languishing at #7, then I don't think there is any improvement. All our past achievements won't count.

Zim would say, if 23+ years of Test cricket starting at #9, and we are languishing at #10, then I think there is nothing but disappointment and embarrassment. All our past achievements won't count.

At least Bd could say, 15+ years of Test cricket starting at #10, and we are languishing at #9, then And breathing heavy on #7 and #8. I think the record speaks for it self. And we are not counting on past achievements. This is the current ICC rankings.

It like this. If someone goes up another has to come down. Simple. Imagine a test playing nation with 60+ or 100+ years of experience and then has to go through qualifications. Sometimes wear their shoes and feel how blessed we are.
Quote:
No buddy, if there's any team that has improved massively, it's your country Ireland. We were supposed to overtake Windies by 2011 WC, but 4 years on, and we're still here. Meanwhile, Ireland manages to defeat the lower ranked teams like Windies and Zim every now and then, and are deservedly climbing up the ranks. Our exit from WC has exposed many weaknesses, but showed Ireland's strength.
You must not have been following BD cricket when we won against Zim 5-0. Won the test series 2-0. Even won the T20 match which is not our best suit. Or when we won against WI 3-2. Not only we win against WI and Zim every now and then but we do it in style. When Ireland beats Zim it is a big deal. When we beat England or NZ it is pushed aside as one off. Why? Head to head we are 3-1 against England. 7-1 against NZ.

We are more close to the big 8 than Ireland to us. But you will always see glass half empty. May be full empty since this was the last WC we played in (in your mind).
Old March 25, 2015, 03:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
It is 15+ years actually. None of the current top 8 would voluntarily give up their position to us. It is always an uphill battle. They are funded better, have better history and passion, have their OWN cricket role models (legends) for the upcoming generation to aspire to be something. Our legend is Shakib who is still on his 20s.

To counter your argument...(underlined part)

Eng would say, if 138+ years of Test cricket starting at #1, and we are languishing at #6, then I think there is nothing but disappointment and embarrassment. All our past achievements won't count.

SA would say, if 126+ years of Test cricket starting at #3, and we are still languishing at #3, then I don't think there is any improvement. All our past achievements won't count.

WI would say, if 87+ years of Test cricket starting at #4, and we are languishing at #8, then I think there is nothing but disappointment and embarrassment. All our past achievements won't count.

Pak would say, if 63+ of Test cricket starting at #7, and we are still languishing at #7, then I don't think there is any improvement. All our past achievements won't count.

Zim would say, if 23+ years of Test cricket starting at #9, and we are languishing at #10, then I think there is nothing but disappointment and embarrassment. All our past achievements won't count.

At least Bd could say, 15+ years of Test cricket starting at #10, and we are languishing at #9, then And breathing heavy on #7 and #8. I think the record speaks for it self. And we are not counting on past achievements. This is the current ICC rankings.

It like this. If someone goes up another has to come down. Simple. Imagine a test playing nation with 60+ or 100+ years of experience and then has to go through qualifications. Sometimes wear their shoes and feel how blessed we are.
You must not have been following BD cricket when we won against Zim 5-0. Won the test series 2-0. Even won the T20 match which is not our best suit. Or when we won against WI 3-2. Not only we win against WI and Zim every now and then but we do it in style. When Ireland beats Zim it is a big deal. When we beat England or NZ it is pushed aside as one off. Why? Head to head we are 3-1 against England. 7-1 against NZ.

We are more close to the big 8 than Ireland to us. But you will always see glass half empty. May be full empty since this was the last WC we played in (in your mind).
NZ is on the verge of winning a WC after being ranked lower than us less than 2 years ago (yes they were, ask anyone who has been following ICC rankings closely), and SL won it within 15 years after test status. Certainly, we have improved. But it's not enough. To the point that all this might go to waste if we end up on 9th, face a semi final knock-out in qualifiers and end up not participating. Hk and afghan has shown how it's done before. I just hope am proven wrong and our cricketers shut my mouth up by climbing up to atleast 7th in rankings by 2017. The coming Pak series might be a good indicator where we stand.
Old March 25, 2015, 03:53 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
NZ is on the verge of winning a WC after being ranked lower than us less than 2 years ago (yes they were, ask anyone who has been following ICC rankings closely), and SL won it within 15 years after test status. Certainly, we have improved. But it's not enough. To the point that all this might go to waste if we end up on 9th, face a semi final knock-out in qualifiers and end up not participating. Hk and afghan has shown how it's done before. I just hope am proven wrong and our cricketers shut my mouth up by climbing up to atleast 7th in rankings by 2017. The coming Pak series might be a good indicator where we stand.
past performance doesn't count. You said it. Plus You can't compare us with SL. They had a cricketing structure (domestic league) which goes back to early 1900s. Ours started AFTER we got the test status. Everything before that was all Dhaka based club cricket. May be some in Chittagong.

NZ got to the finals after how many years of Test cricket?
+++
My point was we are not really that bad. Dooms day hasn't come yet for our cricket. I have hope. Every team progresses with time. We have to progress at a higher rate to catch them since we began so low. Do you know what we argued here at BC in 2005?

Who will be our first 30+ average batsman, which player got 50s against a top 8 team and how many, wasting ball doesn't matter cause we can't stick around for 50 overs, does Eng have ordinary attack, will there be a ONE day test match at Australia, HHS. We have come a long way!!!!
Old March 25, 2015, 07:50 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Ganguly,Vettori,

Quote:
past performance doesn't count. You said it. Plus You can't compare us with SL. They had a cricketing structure (domestic league) which goes back to early 1900s. Ours started AFTER we got the test status. Everything before that was all Dhaka based club cricket. May be some in Chittagong.

NZ got to the finals after how many years of Test cricket?
+++
My point was we are not really that bad. Dooms day hasn't come yet for our cricket. I have hope. Every team progresses with time. We have to progress at a higher rate to catch them since we began so low. Do you know what we argued here at BC in 2005?

Who will be our first 30+ average batsman, which player got 50s against a top 8 team and how many, wasting ball doesn't matter cause we can't stick around for 50 overs, does Eng have ordinary attack, will there be a ONE day test match at Australia, HHS. We have come a long way!!!!

Those were the days weren't they?

I remember being ecstatic that Rokon hit a six in the first over against Windies in the Home series back in 2003. It didn't matter that we lost a terrible loss. That one shot of audacity was enough for us.

Yeah, if our openers did that now, we'll probably rip'em a new one. That's definitely improvement in my views.
Old March 25, 2015, 08:20 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashfaq
Those were the days weren't they?....
Nafis Iqbal taking on England... commenting "ordinary". Hahaha!!!

I had an epic back and forth with Miraz (now busy in submitting norms for nobel prize....) lasting 3 months on Ashraful. I was against and he was for.
Old March 27, 2015, 11:17 AM
Test Cricketer

Anyone remember our ODI rating at the start of the WC / after the Zim series?

How many years' worth of games are counted for these team and individual ratings?

It'd be better if recent results were weighted more.
Old March 27, 2015, 11:27 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by epitaph
Anyone remember our ODI rating at the start of the WC / after the Zim series?
We gained two point after having a 3-3-1 result. WI 3-4 dropped 2 points. Pak 4-3 lost 1 point. Winning against higher teams gets you more points. Losing against weaker teams gets you worse.
Quote:
How many years' worth of games are counted for these team and individual ratings?
3 years.
Quote:
It'd be better if recent results were weighted more.
Yes, that is how points are calculated.
Old March 28, 2015, 06:15 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mashrafee and Enamul jr

coming series is vital to gain higher ranking.
Old March 28, 2015, 06:35 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

Kolpak law should be banned to help countries like Zimbabwe, Ireland, Scotland survive in cricket.
Old March 28, 2015, 07:39 AM
Cricket Savant

I don't understand. Why a Kolpak player can't play for his original country? Those who know more, can you guys explain?
Old March 28, 2015, 07:59 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I don't understand. Why a Kolpak player can't play for his original country? Those who know more, can you guys explain?
Reading ICC's eligibility rules, I don't think there is anything that would restrict Zimbabwe from picking Taylor.

The rules for eligibility for men (Full member Nations):

To be eligible to represent an ICC Member at Under 19 level or above, a player must meet at least one of the following core nationality criteria;

A. Core Nationality Criteria

A1. A national of the country (as defined by the country);or
A2. Born in the country; or
A3. Resident in the country for at least 183 days in each of the immediately preceding seven years; or
A4. Resident in the country for at least 183 days in each of the immediately preceding four years

There are restrictions which mostly apply to associates and below to prevent buying teams like happened in the past, but one restriction applies to a player of a full member.

B. Restrictions
B1. The player must not have represented another ICC Member at Under 19 level or above - in an ICC sanctioned match (e.g. in a Test match, ODI, ICC Global or Regional event) - in the immediately preceding four years (at under 19 level or above).

From reading the rules, there is nothing from ICC to prevent Taylor to be eligible for Zimbabwe unless because he upped and left, he won;t meet Zimbabwe Cricket Board's rules for being eligible. Perhaps they too have a rule that to be considered eligible the player must've played in the national domestic tournament or been resident in the country for x number of days.
Old March 28, 2015, 09:25 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
From reading the rules, there is nothing from ICC to prevent Taylor to be eligible for Zimbabwe unless because he upped and left, he won;t meet Zimbabwe Cricket Board's rules for being eligible. Perhaps they too have a rule that to be considered eligible the player must've played in the national domestic tournament or been resident in the country for x number of days.
Thanks Doc.
That has to be it. Many Scots, Dutch are playing county cricket. They are representing their Country in the WCs.

I was thinking the county contract could block Test playing nations such as SA, ZIM kolpak players from representing their country.
Old March 28, 2015, 10:16 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Porterfield,Mushy,Rogers

Taylor wont be able to play for Zimbabwe as he's on a kolpak, as part of being a kolpak you cannot play international cricket, ZCB's eligibility rules dont come into it.

As for Scottish and Irish players, they dont count as internationals, they count as home grown players because Scotland is in the UK as is NI, so they dont need kolpak deals, pretty sure this applies to the Dutch as well (could be wrong), although some Dutch players like Kervezee have stopped playing for Holland but play county, pretty sure thats due to the KNCB though but could be wrong
Old March 28, 2015, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Thanks Donal C. But that restriction has nothing to do with the Kolpak ruling itself. The Kolpak Ruling declares that citizens of countries which have applicable Association Agreements with the EU, and who are lawfully working within an EU country, have equal rights to work as EU citizens, and cannot have restrictions such as quotas placed upon them. Zimbabwe is part of the ACB which has an associate agreement with the EU.

On further research, I see that there are additional county restrictions on a Kolpak player. From cric buzz:
A player becomes eligible to sign for a county under the Kolpak deal only after he gives up his right to play for his country. According to rules, a Kolpak player must not have represented his country in the past 12 months and during the period of his contract with a county, he will not be eligible to represent his country. The Kolpak players will be eligible to play for England after plying their trade in the country for four years.
http://m.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/7...w-about-kolpak