facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old March 18, 2006, 02:48 PM
Test Cricketer

Default Racism in Russia

I was watching the news last night coming out of Russia.
I was listening to a group of Americans whom for whatever reason have lived there for the last couple of years. They were translating how the Russians make fun of their accents, and generally make fun of their Russian, rather than being happy that they are attempting to learn their language.

The American and Canadian boys and girls in the 20's said that they don't feel part of the culture, that they are just not accepted in Russian society, and the douzen or so of the band together and stick to their own little enclave. It is interesting to see a documentary where it is the Americans emigrating somewhere else and feeling unwelcome and not part of the mainstream society.

What really shocked me though is the racism in Russia. I almost hate being named Vladimir (a Russian name, when I realize how bad it is there)

Not only are they xenophobic to the Americans whereby they check to stop them all the time, for dark skinned people, whom are travelling around Moscow, they can be stopped 5 times a day.

I guess all the terrrorism from Chechnya has made them much less tolerant.

Also, the idea of saying what is on your mind is new, only since 1994 did they get this right.

Further, they were tranlating the Americans talking to Russians about being American. The Russians talked about the Black not being American, but African. One American tried to explain to them that he is Italian American, hence, by that logic he's not American either. Infact, the Black American is more American than him.

Don't they know that halve the white Americans are immigrants too? Technicially the Blacks have been here way longer than halve the Whites.

I saw another documentary whereby there were armed (Alcaida type) militia in Russia, they had their heads covered, and they go around Moscow and attack anyone dark skinned.

It shocks me I guess, because Russia ruled much of the dark skinned world, and had associations with them. They preached equality for all. They killed all the rich intelligencia, took over, and started from scratch themselves.

No wonder Communism was discredited. It was superficial b.s.

Now that the cloak of silence is off, and Russians can speak their minds, I find they are like the rest of the world. Racist and xenophobic.

Is it only North America and Western Europe which is tolerant? I guess so.

I wanted to visit Russia with my wife one day. I always wanted to see the former Empire which used to rule over my birth country - Czech Republic. But not so sure anymore.

It's funny, now that I have a dark skinned wife, and a Muslim family, I am very acute to racist comments.

All I can say is thank God for OUR version of democracy, and thank God for Canada, and for America for standing up for what is right (at least in their own country, forget, international messed up politics for a moment.)

Anyway, anyone experience Russia? Maybe it's isolated incidence. Maybe it's not that bad. Maybe my wife and I can still visit one day. Anyone been to Russia? What's your experience?

Old March 18, 2006, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Perhaps you should post to www.russiancricket.com
Old March 18, 2006, 03:15 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Zunaid
Perhaps you should post to www.russiancricket.com
There's no such site? I just checked. I thought you were serious. :P ...come to think of it, I don't have a Russian wife, so who cares about them.:duh:
Old March 18, 2006, 04:00 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: TAMIM IQBAL

They are the soviets, once world leader, what do you expect from them?
Old March 18, 2006, 07:14 PM
Test Cricketer

Racism is everywhere... also in north america and western europe... and sorry, vladmamu, you are a good guy but as you support neo-cons I can't take seriously your ideas on "eastern people" racism... this stuff is quite serious and it's part of human race stupidity
Old March 18, 2006, 11:20 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

mamuuu you're wrong!.. this Russian chick I met is so hot!.. and no way she's racist! even though I hardly understand most of the things she says...her accent is so hott..!!! :embaressed:
Old March 19, 2006, 12:53 AM
Cricket Legend

mamu, you came in wrong time. We are too busy with Kenya and Australia now. No body has the time and energy to read your signature let alone your prose (i mean post). You could post this in May. Then you might get response. Now we are more interested whether JO deserves his place or not, or Tikolo is better than Aftab/Ash. Man we are winning now. No time to check about those russians whther they racist or not or talk about what is Islam.
Old March 19, 2006, 04:24 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by thebest
mamu, you came in wrong time. We are too busy with Kenya and Australia now. No body has the time and energy to read your signature let alone your prose (i mean post). You could post this in May. Then you might get response. Now we are more interested whether JO deserves his place or not, or Tikolo is better than Aftab/Ash. Man we are winning now. No time to check about those russians whther they racist or not or talk about what is Islam.
hahaha, thebest, thank you for your warning.
I really enjoy talking to you guys. And I love discussing stuff like Racism and what is Islam. Though a small percentage of you get upset about some topics, I love talking to you guys. :embaressed:

This morning, however, I have a note on my computer. "I'm checking, don't post (and an exclamation point with a heart)!

So I guess she's checking the date and time again. My courses are over March 26th, but them i'm starting summer school on May 8th, full time. AAhhh, I just can't have any fun right now.

And I have a huge 12 page paper, and we are supposed to go to my parent-in-law for 5 min today because our One Year Anniversary is tomorrow!!!! Man, can you guys belive it's one year already? I rememer posting here that we are getting married!!!

Now I just got the heads up that there is a HUGE PARTY for us tonight. OH well, they have to show the Bangladesh community that it is working. I understand the whole prestige thing. And a couple of young couples' Western Bangladeshi Arranged marriages just collapsed after one year only. That makes us look good. lol.

Bangladeshi people are so cool. Party for everything. I just wish I had time, oh man, the time. So, I"ll better get cracking on that paper. You guys concentrate on Kenya and Australia. And we'll get back to my "fun" topics in May.

cheers

Vlad.
Old March 19, 2006, 04:27 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Hatebreed
mamuuu you're wrong!.. this Russian chick I met is so hot!.. and no way she's racist! even though I hardly understand most of the things she says...her accent is so hott..!!! :embaressed:
Hahaha, I'm sure they are not all racist. However, some scary stuff coming out of there from small fringe groups. Kinda scarey to think about walking the streets there, that's all. Definietly can't generalize everyone. And expats are usually different too.

Good luck with the Russian chic. ( I hear they are controlling women-but we can't genralize once again.

I always loved accents on women too. You'll have to tell me more about her later HB.
Old March 19, 2006, 07:12 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Yea you can't generalize the whole race based on a few racist people.. there are racists in England, Australia, Canada.. yet I've met some of the nicest people from these countries...

I'll tell you more later