facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old October 6, 2008, 07:03 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara
Default Bangladesh Team announced their 14 man Squad against New Zealand

The Bangladesh squad for the One Day International Series against New Zealand.

1. Mohammad Ashraful (Captain)
2. Mashrafe Bin Mortaza (Vice Captain)
3. Tamim Iqbal
4. Zunaed Siddique
5. Imrul Kayes
6. Shakib Al Hasan
7. Mehrab Hossain Jr.
8. Naeem Islam
9. Mushfiqur Rahim (Wicketkeeper)
10. Mahmud Ullah Riyad
11. Abdur Razzak
12. Syed Rasel
13. Shahadat Hossain
14. Mahbubul Alam Robin

Source: TigerCricket

P.S. I wonder how good is this Imrul Kayes lad. Can anyone enlighten me with his first class stats? Also batting wise this squad seems to be vulnerable. But again we have very few options left to build up the 14 man squad. I will miss Aftab and Raqibul. Sigh!
\"In this game, there is no pretending, no mercy, no second chance....in the middle of this huge arena he is on trial, one against eleven, with no one to protect him.....cricket is not a game, it is the truth of life\"
-- J.M.Coetzee, In Boyhood: Scenes from a Provincial Life
Old October 6, 2008, 07:22 AM
Cricket Legend

I did not like the idea of Imrul Kyas, Nayeem and Robin in the team. It is too early for them. Bagh mama and co should put band aid in the team (like playing Rajin, Nafees Iqbal, Najmul) instead of exposing these kids
Old October 6, 2008, 07:37 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebest
I did not like the idea of Imrul Kyas, Nayeem and Robin in the team. It is too early for them. Bagh mama and co should put band aid in the team (like playing Rajin, Nafees Iqbal, Najmul) instead of exposing these kids
I beg to differ. Naeem is more than ready! BIg Z is not dependable, hence, Imrul. Nafis should consider himself very lucky to get a practice game. Considering Talha, Sharif and Mash making debut at 16 and 17 - Robin is a grand old man. He has been performimg consistently as well over the last two years.

Rajin should consider himself unfortunate though.
Old October 6, 2008, 07:46 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ian Bell, aftab ahmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanCricFan
I beg to differ. Naeem is more than ready! BIg Z is not dependable, hence, Imrul. Nafis should consider himself very lucky to get a practice game. Considering Talha, Sharif and Mash making debut at 16 and 17 - Robin is a grand old man. He has been performimg consistently as well over the last two years.

Rajin should consider himself unfortunate though.
I agree with this bhai. It's not right to select young inexperienced players, but nor is there any point in excluding them if they are the best candidate available just because of their age. Tamim debuted when he was only 19, yet we'd never consider dropping him from the team right now. ben Holliaoke and Andrew Flintoff also debuted at a young age.

On the flip side you've got older players like Mosharaf hossain, who's been around for a while and is not particularly young, playing for the senior side and proving to be completely out of their depth.

It's a fine balance. I am optimistic the selectors have made the right choice in picking Naeem and robin..
Old October 6, 2008, 08:24 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by abu2abu
I agree with this bhai. It's not right to select young inexperienced players, but nor is there any point in excluding them if they are the best candidate available just because of their age. Tamim debuted when he was only 19, yet we'd never consider dropping him from the team right now. ben Holliaoke and Andrew Flintoff also debuted at a young age............

It's a fine balance. I am optimistic the selectors have made the right choice in picking Naeem and robin..
Good analysis a2a!
BTW, Tamim made his debut at 17 :-)
Old October 6, 2008, 08:39 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanCricFan
Good analysis a2a!
BTW, Tamim made his debut at 17 :-)
You are right of course. Though he made is test debut at 19...
Old October 6, 2008, 08:05 AM
Street Cricketer

Default Bangladesh 14 man ODI Team

I Support this team. My Plan Like this
opening 1.Tamim Iqbal 2.Imrul/Junaid ( I think Now Imrul is the best opener)3. Ashraful
4.Sakibul Hassan 5.Naeem Islam 6.Mehrab JR ( Because we need partime bowler)7.Mushfiqur rahim 8.Riyad 9.Mashrafee 10.Abdur Razzaq 11.Syed Russel( Russel is the best bowler for Mirpur pitch)
My team four Special Bowler two partime bowler because bangladesh pitch need Spineer.
Old October 6, 2008, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
My thoughts exactly. The trend of introducing new players when they are not ready has to stop. I wouldn't mind watching Nafis Iqbal open with Tamim, fail in this and the next few series and get dropped for a year or two. In the long run, that would have been more beneficial to us than a fifty and a series of failures throughout the next twelve months from the likes of Naeem and Imrul, resulting in a couple of more wasted talents than we already have.
Old October 6, 2008, 09:18 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: ZAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
My thoughts exactly. The trend of introducing new players when they are not ready has to stop. I wouldn't mind watching Nafis Iqbal open with Tamim, fail in this and the next few series and get dropped for a year or two. In the long run, that would have been more beneficial to us than a fifty and a series of failures throughout the next twelve months from the likes of Naeem and Imrul, resulting in a couple of more wasted talents than we already have.
u can see that in the practice match. As per Prothom Alo he is not fitness level is not good enough to play ODI. But more or less u r right regarding keep on changing players in every tour. u might see a change in coming SA tour also.
Old October 6, 2008, 09:19 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by theBest
We BC members are much better in knowing cricket. Proven fact. We don't need test playing resume for selecting players. Selector'der matha'i gobor chara ar kisui nai. Just watch they will leave Rasel out of the 11.
Old October 6, 2008, 09:51 AM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Quote:
If someone is not capable of delivering more than a single 50 in 12 months then he's useless anyway. No 'talent' lost there.

Not saying I'm all for handing out ODI/Test caps to as many rookies as possible, just that it's not likely to have any impact on result.
Old October 6, 2008, 05:42 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

Quote:
You said it all.
This team is too inexperienced. Its true that these 3 new comers did well agnst Srilanka but this is not the NZ A team.
I am also surprised to see that Nafees Iq didn't get the chance.
What is so wrong with Nafees.
All these plyrs like Jun S ,Nazimudn,Mehrb jnr got there chances to open without any success so why won't Tamim's bro get one.
Man I was so eager to watch the Iqbl brthrs open & this would have given Tamim some extra power.
Nafees also got a 57 in prctce mtch.
Old October 6, 2008, 10:48 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot

Quote:
same here, I was also not expecting any new faces. Introducing too many new faces is just ultimately destroying these young players. Look what happened to Dollar now. He was introduced early, now out of the team and frustrated.
Old October 6, 2008, 07:29 AM
Cricket Guru

I'm looking forward to see Naeem in both ODIs and Tests. I believe this boy is pure class and has positive temperament unlike most BD batters. Hope I haven't jinxed him for good...:-)

Mahbub might get a game or two depending on Sharapova's shopping.
Old October 6, 2008, 08:15 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

It looks like everybody is impressed by Naeem as Raqibul is injured and ruled out. For the first ODI Imrul definitely should be tested and so is Robin. I will not play Rasel if he is still having trouble with his line.

I would rather support surprises for Kiwis on the First match as that is when we have the finest chance to turn the wheel. As we have seen from tours by AUS and recently RSA, first match is when the opponent remain still in the adjustment mode.
Old October 6, 2008, 08:22 AM
Club Cricketer

1.Tamim Iqbal
2.Junaid Siddique
3.Mohammad Ashraful (C)
4.Naeem Islam
5.Shakib Al Hasan
6.Mahmudullah Riyad
7.Mushfiqur Rahim
8.Abdur Razzak
9.Mashrafe Mortaza
10.Shahadat Hossain
11.Syed Rasel/Mahbubul Alam
Old October 6, 2008, 08:34 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Real player,Media player

argh no Raqiul. looks like Naeem is the only option left for Raqib's postion.

I'm looking forward to see Naeem and Imrul in the team. Even mahbubul if Rassel is not in form.

but i deffinately want IMRUL instead of ZUNAID!
Old October 6, 2008, 08:38 AM
Cricket Sage

i think they shud hav waited till the practice match to announce the team..that way everyone knws they still hav a chance..n bring their A game...
Old October 6, 2008, 01:19 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: David Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangladesh_sy
i think they shud hav waited till the practice match to announce the team..that way everyone knws they still hav a chance..n bring their A game...

AGREED! Selectorder mathai budhi nai.
Test Cricketer

I think the final XI will look like this:

1. tamim
2. zunaed
3. Ash
4. Shakib
5. Mushy +
6. naeem
7. mehrab
8. riyad or rasel
9. Razzak
10. mashrafe
11. shahadat

If I had to pick a team from that squad, the only changes I’d make are:
• Mushy batting at 3;
• Maububul alam for shahadat (he can’t be any more expensive); and
• Imrul Kayes for Mehrab hossain (we don’t need an extra spinner as ash, riyad, naeem and even zunaed can bowl as effectively as mehrab).
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

Why do we have 4 openers in 14 man squad?

What's Mehrab doing in the squad when we have Imrul and Junaid to cover?

They should've selected another middle order batsman instead of Mehrab Jr.

Don't know why..but this team looks to be a bit weaker than the last one.

Last edited by Murad; October 6, 2008 at 08:44 AM..
Old October 6, 2008, 08:50 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by muradnyc
Why do we have 4 openers in 14 man squad?

What's Mehrab doing in the squad when we have Imrul and Junaid to cover?

They should've selected another middle order batsman instead of Mehrab Jr.

Don't know why..but this team looks to be a bit weaker than the last one.
ur r right. I was wondering too. Looks to me that Naim is going to be a automatic choice for best XI. I didn't except Rasel in the team since Bagh mama was annoyed about his fitness.
Old October 6, 2008, 08:56 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntu
ur r right. I was wondering too. Looks to me that Naim is going to be a automatic choice for best XI. I didn't except Rasel in the team since Bagh mama was annoyed about his fitness.
Rasel is declared fit by the physio.
Old October 6, 2008, 08:43 AM
Cricket Sage

My Team

1. Tamim
2. Junaid/Imrul Kayes
3. Ash
4. Shakib
5. Nayeem Islam
6. Mushy
7. Riyad
8. Mashrafe
9. Razzak
10. Mahbubul Alam (He should play instead of Rajib in ODIs. Rajib will always be expensive in Onedays. Too many short balls)
11. Rasel

Last edited by Murad; October 6, 2008 at 08:56 AM..
Old October 6, 2008, 08:59 AM
Cricket Guru

My Team

1. Tamim
2. Junaid
3. Ash
4. Shakib
5. Nayeem Islam
6. Mushy
7. Riyad
8. Mashrafe