facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old September 12, 2005, 06:07 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Default Bashar: improving captaincy?

Having watched the first day's proceedings I have a few comments to make about Bashar's captaincy on the field.

1. As usual he led from the front with the bat, and played very responsibly. When he went for his pulls and hooks he tried his best (and successfully too) to keep the ball on the ground. Eventually, when he got out, he got out in unfortunate circumstances.

2. I was impressed with his field -settings and his bowling rotation. He kept faith in his rookie pacers to begin with, and gave them attacking fields such as three slips and a a gully. He made it a point to let his pacemen bowl nice long opening spells. His message was clear. The pacers were there to take wickets and not just fill the ranks. Eventually both repaid his faith. I was particularly impressed with the fact that he brought back Shahadat briefly after his first opening spell from Rasel's end, instead simply going to Enamul jnr. There is nothing like knowing that the captain has faith in your abilities.

3. The field-settings for the spinners were aggressive, and changed around to ensure maximum support for his bowlers.

4. Getting the players into a team huddle after Sangakkarra's dismissal was a nice touch as well.

We hear a lot of criticism about Bashar and his captaincy skills but surely, those who saw him marshalling and leading his men yesterday, will concede that the man is an improving test captain. He is not the most vocal/visible leader of men, but he has the respect of his players nonetheless, and is learning to think on his feet. Now that he is a selector as well, I expect him to step up, and impose his personality in a more effective manner.

Edited on, September 13, 2005, 12:23 AM GMT, by Zobair.
Reason: grammar..spelling...sheesh!

Old September 12, 2005, 06:22 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC Design Team

Favorite Player: Shahriar Biddyut

Zobair, you are pretty much bang on about all the points. Bashar is certainly not very vocal, but he is accepted widely, and that's what makes me support him throughout. He has established such an image, that experts hardly hesitate to label him as a class individual.

I for one was never against him, and I am still not. Hopefully he will improve on his recent performances, both as the team's captain and as its most accomplished batsman.
Old September 12, 2005, 06:36 PM
ODI Cricketer

May be this is the begining of the end of a laid back, idle captain like BASHAR.Watching him on and off the field does remind me about INZY as a captain a lot.

Surely BASHAR started learning the pros and cons of a good captaincy.Still I would like to say to him the way he walks and talks in the field do reminds us about a genle man that he is but Cricket has evolved beyond a gentle man's game long time ago.

He has to be more aggresive in field placing,prudent in Changing bowlers and time to time has to show arrogance too.
The way he played and handle the team today will take him to the direction we all are waiting to see him going and as a die -hard BD fan at least I CAN take a solice about that.

Edited on, September 12, 2005, 11:40 PM GMT, by CricTiger.
Old September 12, 2005, 07:13 PM
Test Cricketer

credit should go to the bowlers as well. They created the chances, complemented by bashar's capatincy, and it worked.
Old September 12, 2005, 08:56 PM
Cricket Legend

I missed the BD fielding as sleep caught up w/ me. But if Bashar did all those what Zobair bhai said, then I must say, he's getting better. The way he batted, it was a treat. Also now he will be a selector and will be appointed captain for a long time. I hope he become like Inzi. The silent GIANT killer.
Old September 12, 2005, 11:03 PM
Club Cricketer

Definitely, i for one seem to have been made to eat 'humble pie' as Michael Slater said when commenting on his criticism of Hayden before his 100.
I admit i was very critical of Bashar after the ODI series, but he proved that he has balls and willingness to fight Sri Lanka for his country and lead by example with the bat.
However, he still has 3 innings to bat in, so God forbid but next scores of 10, 0 and 5 for instance will bring back the criticisms.
Anyway Well done for his first innings and may Allah guide Bangladesh to a good performance...Inshallah
Old September 12, 2005, 11:22 PM
Cricket Legend

pompous, nice post!