View Single Post
Old January 29, 2011, 04:37 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ryan Ten Doescate
Default Mushfiqur Rahim relishes underdog tag

It has been long enough in my book... We are not under dogs, but under tigers...
http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesig...php?nid=171903

Mushfiqur Rahim affirmed that the Tigers were hardly under any pressure despite opening their World Cup against the form team, India, at home.

The Bangladesh cricket team trained under lights at the Sher-e-Bangla National Stadium in Mirpur for the first time since March and the wicketkeeper-batsman said playing at home against India would be beneficial to them.

"We have nothing to lose. They (India) will be under pressure as they are going to play at our home," said Mushfiqur while speaking to the media.

"We can play all out against India. If we had played against Ireland or Netherlands in our first game, the pressure would be firmly on us to win but now it is like us playing against Zimbabwe. They [India] will be expected to win.

"It won't be easy or too hard [playing at home]. If we think of it as a player, it is an advantage to us. We are playing at home, in our own conditions and in front of our crowd," he added.

In the space of four years, Mushfiqur has become a senior professional in the team, and is among the six players to have played in the 2007 World Cup. Probably he doesn't look like it but the Bogra lad's contribution, especially with the bat, is important for the Tigers. "It is great that I've become a senior player in the team. I will hope to use the experience of the previous World Cup to good effect," he said.

Though his batting usually stands out, the 23-year-old said he was happy with his job behind the stumps. "Over the last one year, I would say that I am having the best time with my wicketkeeping. I am happy to continue on what I have been doing," said Mushfiqur.

Unlike the wicketkeeper though, Nazmul Hossain was pleased to be part of the 15-member squad as he had missed out on the previous occasion. "Definitely I'm happy. I missed out on the 2007 World Cup, I was a standby player then. I am as excited as I was during my debut game," said the Sylhet-born paceman.

"I am enjoying my role here but yes, I do feel I was slightly unlucky with missing matches. Last year I played a good game against New Zealand but missed the next three due to a hand injury," he added.