View Single Post
Old December 23, 2018, 02:01 PM
First Class Cricketer

Default Let's give Umpire Tanvir Ahmed another chance

After seeing his (Umpire Tanvir Ahmed's) quote on Cricinfo:

Quote:
"In terms of a no-ball, there is always the issue of the foot and the line being close to each other," Tanvir told Prothom Alo. "And if the bowler jumps quickly, there are occasions when it is difficult to spot it. I am new to international cricket. I made a mistake.

"If you look at my past, I don't have a bad history. It was one mistake. Inshallah, I will come back well. Every person has good days and bad days. Yesterday I had a bad day. The match just ended yesterday. I am not focusing on anything else. I am thinking about my mistake."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/...e-tanvir-ahmed
I think he deserves another chance. He is a budding international umpire who no doubt wants to make the step up to ODIs and Tests someday, and clipping his wings at this time is uncalled for. How many times have we complained about umpires not checking for no-balls unless a wicket falls? At least Tanvir Ahmed kept an eye on the bowler's foot - even if he called wrong on this occasion.

It is highly unlikely that he will make this error again, and let's not continue to pillory him for this. Needless to say, there were no ulterior motives at play here either. May he have a fruitful umpiring career in the years ahead!

--

MODS: Feel free to merge with the 'main' thread if that is policy, but I figure this deserves its own airtime - at least for a bit.