View Single Post
Old January 10, 2010, 07:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Sahastra
As far as public admission of so called "defeatist attitude" is concerned, here is a public statement from a guy who won Qatar open today by defeating Rafael Nadal.

"I was just fighting. I never thought about winning. I didn't think I could win".

Thanks god Davydenko is not a BD player. He would've been slammed on this forum left and right for having a defeatist attitude, never mind that he just won a tournament playing against a champion player
Dear DJ,
I think your example here is not appropriate as the circumstances are dissimilar. First of all, Devydenko made this comment after winning the match and this kind of comment is not unusual to show respect to losing opponent. I am sure he would not have made such a comment if he had not won the match.
Secondly, the tennis match was a game of individuals, not a team sport. Hence, whatever comment Devydenko made will have no impact on others (no teammates). So, in my view, your example is a good one but the circumstances are not same to justify Shakib’s negative attitude.