View Single Post
Old October 8, 2010, 03:30 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
I bet a whole slew of aficionados will crawl out of the wood work now.... Come on down!

I will start this with a question:

I am planning to move up to a real dSLR camera and are looking at some basic entry level ones from Canon and Nikon.

Any experiences and comments are most welcome. As I eventually will graduate to the expensive desire for filters and lenses, keep that in mind. I am planning to use it both for close and distant photography - food photography as well as indoor/landscape photography (so a wider lens would be needed).

Ok - the cameras I am looking at right now are:

Canon - EOS 1000D or 500D or the Rebel series
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consum...as/slr_cameras

Nikon - D3000 or D5000
http://nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/...SLR/index.page

Not planning to spend more for the semi-pro or professional models.
If you are choosing Nikon go for the D3100 over D3000. It has a far better processing engine and would match the D7000 at up to ISO6400.

Any Canon system is cheaper when it comes to accessories and to be fair, the cheapest.

I assume that you are of my age or older. If that is the case, don't overlook the Pentax/Samsung or Sony DSLR bodies since they have in body stabilisation. It just works out far cheaper unless you intend to spend lots of money buying different lenses with stabilisation built in. The glass is rather more expensive when it comes to Sony unless you are happy to use second hand Minolta lenses. Pentax bodies would take any K mount lenses going back a while so again, second hand glass is a whole new world.

I am not entirely sure why you wish to upgrade to DSLR. If the optical viewfinder is something you can go without, don't overlook the Olympus Pen range, the Panasonic G series or the Sony NEX range. These are fun cameras that are more than capable in the right hand and would outperform the entry level DSLRs from Canon or Nikon in many instances if you were just looking at IQ.

I generally discourage people from buying DSLR cameras if it is a jump unless they are truly going to be shooting in semi-automated or manual mode. The kit lenses are generally awful in poor light. However, if you are prepared to spend some time learning he craft and don't mind carrying a tripod, any DSLR is a stunning tool brimming with possibilities.

There are other options in small sensor. The Samsung EX1 with it 1.8 lens is just stunningly good. The Canon's popular G series is a real joy to use. The Panasonic LX range is just so good. The Ricoh GR series is exceptional at middle distances. Add to that the Sigma with its foveon processor, large sensor and fixed lens is no slouch. Nothing beats the sigma in terms of colour and IQ.

There are also little gems that not many think about using as bridge cameras but could be more capable in the right hands. The Canon S range, the S90 or latest S95 with their f2 lenses are just as good as the G series but far cheaper.