View Single Post
Old July 30, 2019, 12:07 AM

Favorite Player: Mash, Riyad, Tamim

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman
Sensible observation. I'm more concerned about the long term prospect beyond 2020. When it comes to player selection opinions seem to fall in one of two categories. Folks either want the seniors to carry on or they want to get rid of them altogether. I don't agree with either. It took 7+ years to make decent players out of Tamim/Mushy/Riyad. We can't just discard them now. We're hoping the new gen would have a higher ceiling and show more consistency. We see sparks of brilliance from players like Soumya, Sabbir, Miraz from time to time, but they seem to lack the mental makeup required to survive the pressure packed social media age. This is hindering their progress and could result in some individuals falling way short of their potential ceiling. So I'm not convinced we can take for granted the new gen will be better than the current gen.

Keeping an eye on the future here's how I think the selection process should work. Senior players should be guaranteed a spot in the team only for 2-3 series. If they get injured or lose form they should be replaced immediately and the new guy should get 2-3 series'. We know someone like Tamim or Riyad can make it back if they work hard enough. But right now they're not required to push themselves, their spots seem to be guaranteed even if they're injured or out of form. Depending on how things go the seniors probably have 2-3 good yrs left. In 2023 WC will we have a team that's even as good as this one?
Agreed. Going through a radical change wont work. Our bench strength is absolutely horrific right now. For the sake of our prospective players, we need to persist with the seniors and allow these young guys like Saif, Afif, Yasir, Shoriful, Nayeem, Naim get more experience in domestics and A tours. But for starters, BCB needs to come up with a solid long term strategy. I am also worried about our team beyond 2020 as BCB only seems to be planning for the next T20 world cup at the moment.