View Single Post
Old November 5, 2009, 01:30 PM
Cricket Sage

Players like Lee or Imran Khan doesn't grow in the tree, definitely not in Bangladesh tree. So complain is not going to work. We need to be realistic and use our stength (speed is not one of them). And Nazmul is no Lee and we all know that.

However insetad of bashing and expecting \suddenly a FB will drop from the sky is not going to work. There are other aspects we need to see. Few things to consider...

1. In ODI and Even TEST less speedy fast bowlers can be are equally successful in some type of pitches.

2. In ODI there are two roles for a bowler which can complement one another. Get wicket and contain run.

3. We play close to half of our games to our climate. Plus we have India (which we rarely play), Pakistan, and Sri Lanka with similar environment.

4. Good line and length and intelligent game plan can compensate speed plus more in ODI.

5. Nazmul was successful recently in three different series in three different countries.

6. Now a days you need 4-6 FBs in your arsenal that you use based on work load, pitch condition, form, etc. In that group you can have FBs with different strength to make it a more versatile goup.

7. You don't need all of them speedy FBs in the FB friendly pitches. The slow but less speedy one can play as the 3rd FB. In case of FB unfriendly pitch, a less speedy but more accurate bowler may do more damage than the speed one.

8. Just because a player started his career unspectacular way doesn’t mean he cannot develop in the future. You cannot use his past performance and ignore his present development to have a meaning full evaluation of a player.

9. There is difference between evaluation a player and pointing out his weakness (who doesn't have one?) and just bashing ignoring his present production.

I hope it clears things up. I think we need to be carely before asking a player's head who just came to the team. I again urge people to consider a player's current production before bashing. If we do so, sometimes we will see, may be we are that that an evaluator of a talent that we think we are. Its better to admit our mistake and give credit to that player and move on.

And in my opinion, Nazmul just show that to some of us. I understand that he may not be a permanent solution for all type of pitch, but then again who do we really have that falls in that category?

Last edited by Fazal; November 5, 2009 at 01:49 PM..