View Single Post
Old March 13, 2008, 10:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
I am not really convinced that this AC - (Average in terms of Consistency = [runs - (HS + LS)]/(matches - 2) is a good statistical tool to judge consistency.

Too much reliance on two innings scores, (highest score and lowest score), doesn't put enough emphasize on other scores within the same time period.

regrading the consistency index I have following observation
1. it gives too much emphasis on the two most extreme outliers i.e. highest and lowest. But the outliers would have same impact if the second highest and lowest are close that is this formula would make very big difference between two similar performer. Even making the better player worse off If sample size is small i.e. less than 30. For example,
Player A has following score
100, 0, 0, 100, 20, 25, 20, 25, 20, 25, 20, 25, 20, 25.
He has an average of 30.35 and AC of 27.28
Another player B has same score but his second highest and lowest two are 20 and 25. Thus he has the following score
100, 0, 20, 25, 20, 25, 20, 25, 20, 25, 20,25, 20, 25
Thus B’s average score is 26.3 and AC of 22.5 though is more consitent than A, but the index show A is more consistent than B. I would rather prefer Rajesh’s consistency index which give importance to all score but deflate the extreme value by considering standard deviation in the folrmula. Rajesh one is average/ SD. B’s consistency is rewarded here as he has better Consistency index of 1.12 where A has 0.99
Regarding Zimbo/ Kenya I have one question when we became superpower. I think after WC we did not win a ODI. And just remember When S Rajesh take out stat against us, we make storm out of tea cup and now we are doing that to show SN and Sakib poor while some other great. Yes SN is poor but don't forgot he is the only who have a test century against the mighty Aussi. And how many of our players can have 4 centuries in limited over match or an average over 40 against decent opposition let alone international minnows. BTW AFAIR we lost the last match and last series againest the so called minnows (Ireland and Zimbabue).
Peace