View Single Post
Old January 15, 2019, 04:01 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Getting back on track to the thread, if you do the math, there is actually a pretty easy peace plan Trump could unveil. Trump has seemingly dropped hints he may do something like that in comments he's made here and there. Most famously, Trump has said that neither side will be fully satisfied with his plan, which would indicate that it might be a just and fair one.

The only questions are if both sides will accept it. The other question is will such a plan succeed given the Middle East's myriad inter-related problems.

From my understanding there are 3 core issues, and if they are split 1.5-1.5 that should constitute a just and fair peace plan. It is possible that is what Trump is planning:

1) Jerusalem - Trump has officially recognized it as Israel's capital and moved the US embassy. But it was curious that he didn't commit the municipal borders, indicating he could propose East Jerusalem as a Palestinian capital. Trump sees everything in quid pro quo transactional terms (I pay you 130,000 and in return you stay quite or I move the embassy but you give me final say on Jerusalem's borders). This issue gets settled with sharing/compromise.

2) Refugee Right of Return - this is really a foolish demand by the Palestinians. No state would be expected to accept demographic suicide of this magnitude, even though those Palestinians may have been unjustly evicted from their homes. I would give this issue solely to Israel on practical grounds alone.

3) Settlements - this is Israel's right of return demand. Precedent has already been set with removal of Gaza settlements. Its illegal under international law anyways, and a comprehensive and final peace settlement is the perfect reason to dismantle the settlements and re-settle the populace inside the 1967 borders. Minor modifications for logistical reasons can be made based on mutual agreement. This one goes to the Palestinians.

So each side gets 1 of their demands, and both sides get to compromise on a third.

#OneTeam1Dream