View Single Post
Old April 7, 2017, 11:56 AM
Cricket Guru

Papon sure knows how to make a mess out of a simple situation -

Mash still available for T20Is: Nazmul

Quote:
Contrary to the common belief, Bangladesh Cricket Board president Nazmul Hasan on Friday said fast bowler Mashrafee bin Murtaza was still available for the selection of national Twenty20 side.

Mashrafee announced his retirement from Twenty20 international during the toss of first match against Sri Lanka in recent series, creating a huge uproar among his fans. While Mashrafee never gave any indication of changing his mind, Nazmul, who hardly missed an opportunity to open his chatterbox, came out with the contradicting statement upon team’s return from Sri Lanka. ‘I have said it repeatedly that Mashrafee did not quit Twenty20 internationals. We never said he was not in the squad. He just gave up captaincy… if remained fit he would play,’ Nazmul told reporters at Dhaka airport.

Nazmul, who initially claimed in Sri Lanka Mashrafee had discussed his retirement plan with him, was visibly upset by the repercussion that came with the decision of the bowler. ‘I have never seen it anywhere in the world apart from Bangladesh who came in the Twenty20 side or who had left,’ he said. ‘Everywhere people discuss about ODIs, Tests but not about Twenty20s. Mashrafee can always get upset because he is a player. Not just a player, but also led the team. So he could feel upset because of his retirement. It could happen to me as well,’ said Nazmul.

Though Nazmul made series of statements over almost anything and everything that happened in Sri Lanka, the BCB was yet to make any formal statement about Mashrafee’s retirement. When contacted BCB media committee chairman Jalal Yunus said Mashrafee was yet to inform the board anything formally about his retirement.