View Single Post
Old November 11, 2016, 09:21 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndYeah
Good thread. And good point about expressing salary in multiples of per Capita. Although its not an apples to apples comparsion, even after that adjustment.

In Asian countries - a players base salary is only a fraction of his overall income that he gets as a result of being a national player - endorsements etc. There's even profit-sharing that some of the boards do.

And I don't think you can adjudicate "fairness" in terms of per capita multiples. A country's elite sportsmen in games that are highly popular are always going to get enormous compensation - that's just a function of the value they add to their sport. Nothing wrong with it.

The larger issue is the disparity between the countries and the unprecedented opportunity that players have gotten with T20 league cricket. The challenge for the boards that can't offer "bigly" $$$ as base retainers, is to work out a schedule with their talent that allows them to earn supplementary income in foreign leagues without completely screwing up the national teams' and domestic cricket's interest. I think the Kiwi board as always is at the forefront in managing these implementation issues. Lots to learn from them.
India and bangladesh also give majority of salary from match fees, I read few years back, not sure about Pakistan

Read few years back Sri Lankan players don't get paid much match fees

England players get over 300k after match fees.. Collingwood was getting 380 at one point