View Single Post
Old September 22, 2011, 10:32 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
Last time I visited Dhaka, Bangladesh (this year), I was told, not to even mention any amount (in any discussion) unless its 100+ crore (TK) and embarass myself. I was also told that 1 koti taka Manuser (Dhaka's) pokete pokete thake as pocket money.

The way I saw people (in Dhaka) waste/spend money that I witnessed during my visit to Dhaka, it supports what my relative said to me.

Comming from USA, everything looked soo expensive in Dhaka this time... from restaurants, to shoping stores, health care/hospital cost, land/appartment cost ( 6 crore for each katha land), supports what I was told.

Now the story outside dhaka (for the rest of the country) may be different, but Dhaka is indeed an expensive place to live and money flies there.
Yes its mostly true. I saw similar things when I was there 2 years ago. My friends that are in unis now use Iphone 4, IPad and have regular parties at expensive restaurants. On the other hand, I can't afford all the luxuries here. I still use an old samsung flip phone and play Tetris there.

The standard of life has improved a lot but you can only enjoy it if you are super rich, if your dad owns textile industries or are politicians. Most of my relatives are regular middle class people and they struggle day in and day out with the rising food prices and horrendous traffic system. These are the people that takes bus everyday to go work and reach office drenched in sweat.

One of my relative said a nice thing one day. In Dhaka, it sucks to be middle class. If you are poor then you can beg from people and get rice and other stuff from government run markets. If you are rich, your life is like the Sheikhs in MIddle East. But if you are middle class you are stuck in the suffering.