View Single Post
Old July 28, 2020, 04:53 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

Turns out West Indies could not sustain their play from the first match. Middling teams (e.g. current West Indian team) tend to be over-reliant on momentum, and have a difficult time generating it mid-series.

My observations:

1. Roach and Holder aside, most bowlers put their head down too easily. When the batting side is dominating, the bowlers' job is to keep their backbones straight and keep bowling hard. Ironically, Woakes and Archer also appeared vulnerable of the same - but never were put under that much pressure. Even Holder puts his head down too often to my liking. "Keep your chin up lad. Believe in the hard work you put in to get here."

2. The West Indian batsmen showed more of this. Chase's run out in the second inning is one example. Roston Chase is already their most important middle-order batsman (although he isn't treated as such in favor of more 'talented and younger' ones). So it bothered me to see him indecisive, ball watching, not committing hard to either direction. That's a man affected by a lack of confidence around him.