View Single Post
Old October 21, 2019, 03:17 PM
Cricket Sage

Overall 11 demand is fair, but looking at those on-by-one, I have few questions before I can say I agree all of their demands.

this is from prothom aloo

Naeem Islam (1): Let the players decide who will be the president and the general secretary of Cricketers Welfare Association of Bangladesh (COAB).
Question: How this selection/election is happening now? Accorting to current president, the term expired and new election will happen. So what they are really opposing? Need to be more specific before I can make my decision.

Mahmudullah (2): The players should have the right to decide which team they would play for and how much they should be paid.
Question: Do they want full power that players will decide which team they go with no restriction on the players/team? They may create imbalance of team strengths, there will be few super team, the rest will struggle.How that can be good for the tournament or for fans? And about players decide how much they should be paid?Where in the world, employee decides how much they should be paid?

Mushfiqur Rahim (3): The players are willing to play the 'special' BPL, but from the next year the franchise-based system should resume. The gap between the prices of local and foreign players need to be bridged. Let the players decide who will be put in which grade of the drafts.
My Comment: I thought Papon already addressed that, this will be special case BPL to address team's need for next WC. About the 2nd part (inequality of payment) its unfair but welcome to real world. How you reduce the gap? Reduce international player salary? Then BPL will fail to attract quality talent. Increase the locap player's salary? That will exponentially increase BPL payroll, when BPL teams already whining about losing money. Some gap reduction can be explored, but total gap reduction is unrealistic.

Shakib Al Hasan (4-5): The pay package for playing first class games needs to be better. They feel match fee should be raised by 50 per cent, which will mean the amount getting increased to Tk 100,000. Training and gym facilities should also be improved. Coaches, physios and trainers should be emplyed for the whole year so that first class cricketers can follow their advices.
My Comment: Valid demand. But for some part they need to address in phases. BCB can agree in principle but cannot address in short time.

Enamul Junior (6): The number of national players on a contract has to be increased to 30. The salaries have not been raised in the last three years, so that has to be increased, too.
My comment: I thought BCB is doing it over time as more and more qualified players are producing. Its a good point to raise, but it should be done in phase as more player is comming, not rewarding less qualified players to fill the slots.

Tamim Iqbal (7): Local coaches should get due importance. The pay disparity between local and foreign coaches needs to be eliminated. The umpires, physios, trainers and groundsmen all should get better salaries and facilities.
My Comment; very good point.But BCB cannot address it in short time, they need to agree and move on implementing over time. They need to have plan, though.

Anamul Haque Bijoy (8): The number of ODI and T20 matches needs to be increased. There should be another T20 tournament before the BPL.
My Comment: Good point. But when BCB is struggling with yearlt BPL, they need some time for arranging another tournament. At this point agreeing to this point and have a plan should be good enough to break the deadlock.

Nurul Hasan (9): There should be a schedule of the local cricket matches so that players can plan well ahead.
My Comment: very good point. And BCB has no reason to not agree to that.

Junaed Siddique (10): The arrears of the Premier League needs to be cleared in due time.
My Comment: Very good point. BCB should address it immediately, whether it resolve strike or not.

Farhad Reza (11): The ban on playing more than two franchises need to be lifted. If there is no commitment with the national team or the national league, a player has to be free to play elsewhere.
My Comment:I don't agree with their demand. I think BCB should firmly stick with their current policy.This is purely Sakib's issue, it really doesn't matter/effect 99% of the players. Players goes to these mutiple tournamenet with half injured to maximize earning, then come back home injured and miss tournament with national team with the excuse of being injured and/or tired.