View Single Post
Old February 5, 2019, 06:26 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: AirBus A340

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToBeFair
Donald J. Trump is such a meme character that even two years after his presidency, it still does not sink in the mind that he is the President of the United States of America. When someone addresses him (the man child) as Mr. President, it honestly does feel awkward. Yes, the previous presidents were all crooked, but still the term '"Mr. President" evoked some respect and not irony.

Even if you do not accept that the economic effects of capitalism and neo-liberalism is responsible for the rise of a demagogue like Trump, his rise can also be explained from the social effects of capitalism.

A capitalist society is all about 'me'. It is all about expanding my capital. It is all about increasing my profit. It is all about increasing the enjoyment of my 'only' existence. If that means sacrificing environment, nature, basic amenities for the working class and their happiness, so be it.

I am not passing judgement of such a society, but there is no denying that capitalism has turned America (and to a greater extent the whole world) into a hedonistic society. Life is all about self pleasure. It is all about self worship. It is about enjoying the moment. It is an extreme form of invidualism. No one has time for others. In this society, religion is taboo. Spirituality is taboo. Morality is taboo. Any concept that deems to be an obstacle, no matter how little, to this extreme self worship and unfettered self pleasure is considered taboo and looked down upon.

Life has become a reality show. And from this reality show came a reality show President. Surprising? Not at all.

Even though Trump and Hillary were competing against each other, since both arose from the same society, both had many similarities.

1. Both worships 'me'. The only thing Trump cares about in this world is Trump. It is all about Trump. He has this infinite, pathological need for attention. This constant craving for attention is what causes him to say one outrageous thing after another. He thrives on it. And a reason why he ran for president is to serve this void. Hillary is same too. She wanted to be president for her own self aggrandizement. It was all about her. Even her slogan was 'I am with her'.

2. Both of them have no soul at all. They are completely incapable of showing any form of empathy whatsoever.

3. Both of them have limitless hunger for money. Bill and Hillary raised over 1 billion in their career in the form of campaign donation, foundation donation, and still they are hungry for money. So is Trump. He ran for president to maximize his business. No amount of money can satiate their hunger.

4. Both are amoral.

5. Both are pathological liars.

But Trump prevailed. Trump is an elite but the elite circle of Washington and New York do not fully embrace him due to him not being prudent. This is a factor that distinguished Trump from Hillary, and allowed him to come across as a man for people/anti establishment despite being an elite, and he won.
This is a very good post, enjoyed reading.