View Single Post
Old July 30, 2006, 06:44 AM
Cricket Legend

I was going to open a Support thread on this but nice to see our good friend Pundit has already done so. It is common courtesy and netiquette to have a policy where user names are not offensive to other members. Any nick could be offensive to anyone for whatever reason, but there are certain ones that are tasteless and cross the line. if I wanted to adopt the nick 'I_Want_to_Rape_your_mother" that would be considered offensive and mods would ask me to change it, or ban me for being looney to begin with.

So it follows that other nicks associated with people generally considered to be "evil" will be offensive to at least some members or potential members. Adolf Hitler, Osama bin Laden, Golam Azam are just a few examples and for different reasons which should be self-evident. Unless, of course, one's name was truly Adolf Hitler, in which case it would be within the member's rights to use his own legal name as a nick. Given the picture icon associated with the member Hitler, I don't think that is the case here, and the member should be asked to adopt a differnt nick in my opinion.