View Single Post
Old July 18, 2023, 11:12 AM
Cricket Guru

It's still hard to predict what may be the WC squad. Despite what Papon said, I doubt Asia Cup team will be also the WC team. Team management may do few more experiments during Asia Cup, and finally settle down for a squad during NZ series that may also play the WC.

My predicted Asia Cup team:

Tamim
Liton
Shanto
Shakib
Hridoy
Mushfiq
Miraz
Mahedi
Taskin
Hasan
Mustafiz

Bench: Ebadot, Shoriful, Taijul, Afif

With Tamim-Liton-Shanto at the top of the order, I don't see the need for a backup opener. If one of them can't play, Shakib or Afif can bat at #3. Having Afif at bench means we also have a middle order (4-6) option ready if needed.

Sheikh Mahedi's stock has gone up significantly during ongoing Emerging Asia Cup. He's giving plenty to think about to the selectors. His inclusion may add two flexibility to the team:

1) He can choke runs during first power-play. That reduces need for a fourth pacer, makes it easy to save overs from pacers for death.

2) In absence of a good #7, Miraz-Mahedi combo may be way to go. If we're in need of a damage control, Miraz may come at #7 (like he has done against India). If we're in need of rapid runs, Mahedi may come sooner.

Overall, Mahedi gives us the option to go with 6 bowlers and 8 batters. I can see him trialed at Asia Cup.

As for Riyad, rumor so far is that he won't be called even to the 25 players practice squad before Asia Cup. But, if Asia Cup ends in a disaster for us, I can definitely see public pressure mounting to bring him back by NZ series.