Thread: Buy or Rent?
View Single Post
Old August 28, 2018, 03:52 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Shakib,Fizz

Dolcevita, I forgot to respond to you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolcevita
Then concerning me referring to his "strategy", I think there was a misunderstanding (because of my poor English), when I referred to "strategy", I intended to tell about his "strategy" as the President of the USA:
Stop apologizing about your "poor" English. It's perfectly fine, and way better than some here.

Quote:
If you read the National security strategy (2018) and National defense strategy (2018), it is written that one of the weakness of American foreign policy was it's predictability, and that they must be "unpredictable" in their methods (that is what he is doing).
Predictable according to who exactly? I could argue, American foreign policy has been extremely unpredictable since Clinton era. Does diplomacy need unpredictability? If so, why? These are opinions, not facts.

Quote:
"M Y STYLE of deal-making is quite simple and straightforward. I aim very high, and then I just keep pushing and pushing and pushing to get what I’m after. Sometimes I settle for less than I sought, but in most cases I still end up with what I want"
This really isn't anything earth shattering. It's a very common tactic in any negotiation. I would say most people know this intuitively. If you go to any bazaar in Bangladesh, you'll see uncles and aunties utilize this on a very basic level. Trump is neither the first to use this, nor the first to put it down on paper.

Quote:
-You also understand what China and Europe should not do (But Europe is doing this mistake): "The worst thing you can possibly do in a deal is seem desperate to make it. That makes the other guy smell blood, and then you’re dead. The best thing you can do is deal from strength, and leverage is the biggest strength you can have. Leverage is having something the other guy wants. Or better yet, needs. Or best of all, simply can’t do without. Unfortunately, that isn’t always the case, which is why leverage often requires imagination, and salesmanship. In other words, you have to convince the other guy it’s in his interest to make the deal"
Again, this is nothing new. Most people might not understand the word leverage, but know what it is and how to utilize it on an intuitive level. If this is the best his book has, what exactly does that prove for you?

Look if you enjoy Trump's persona and style and enjoy reading art of the deal, then by all means read it. If you get some strategy out if, fantastic. But these strategies are nothing new. And to give him credit for it is to deny the people that wrote this stuff before him.

If you want an academic approach, read Porter's stuff. If you want practical, pick any of the multitude of books available. I suggest kauffman, Carnegie, ben graham. Even Art of War is full of nice little tidbits. Heck, Wolf of Wall Street will teach you the same things, albeit with more f*** yous than you've seen your entire life.