View Single Post
Old March 16, 2017, 11:48 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Wang Liqin
BDFlag BAN in Test

We are playing our 100th test and yet not have an 11-player test set. There needs to be 7-8 set players for most conditions, but we often fail to recognize them (Tamim, Mominul, Mushy, Shakib, Mehedi, Taskin & Fizz). So, we dropped Mominul and Taskin. Now we're thinking of dropping Shakib. Many here even suggested to drop Tamim. If we keep shuffling 5-6 in every match till we win a test match/series, I'm afraid that's not going to happen. Tests cannot be won with individual record, otherwise Lara or Tendulkar would have won lot more matches for their country.

The fact is that we lack in "Test Temperament". We can neither bat or bowl well for consecutive 2-3 sessions, let alone 4-5. Among the current lot, only Tamim and Mushy have better technique. add Mominul here; we will have 3 test batsmen. We need 2 more.

Imrul can contain the temperament, but lacks in technique and consistency. SS and Sabbir are suited for limited over games with their aggressive nature. However, I want Sabbir to play tests regularly. Although he is too flashy, he has somewhat good technique and I believe he can grow test temperament with time. Mehedi is proving well as an all-rounder which is a big advantage for BAN. SS can stay as long as he can deliver. And our keeper hasn't been fixed yet. Moreover, our test captaincy, field placements, bowling changes - almost all fields are questionable. In a 5-day match and 3 matches in a series, you require these all settled before going to the field (few things can change during the game).

Now comes Shakib. To me, he was always a bowling all-rounder. I expect a 40-50 and 2-3 wickets from him in every innings. He never had a proper batting technique anyway. But he used to be a smart bowler. Too much arrogance and pride being No. 1 all-rounder and playing regularly in T20 PL's is perhaps spoiling him. But since we're still shuffling players to set our test squad, I don't think he should be dropped right now. But if he causes problems in dressing rooms and directly affects teamwork; he needs to face disciplinary actions.

It's high time we came up with 8 regular test players: 4 batsmen, 2 seamers, 1 spinner and 1 keeper. The other 3 spots (1 bat, 1 bowl and 1 all-rounder) can be open for any potential test player or a comeback.

Just sharing my thoughts.