View Single Post
Old February 2, 2017, 01:36 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Wang Liqin
Lightbulb Power VS Timing

Kalu used to play little cameos. He used all the power his little body could generate, nothing to do with timing. Besides, he hit boundaries most often, not biggies.

Jayasuirya was bottom-hand dominant player with lot of wrist power. His 6's over point are proof of that. Whenever he wanted to play biggies, he made sure he put lot of power behind it.

De Silva was on another level. He didn't have to use power like any other great batsman nor he used to hit biggies frequently.

Ganguly was another example of elegant timing. He only used to hit 6's against the spinners by putting some momentum (coming down the track) and little power. But his 6's were massive.

Saeed and Lara were similar. To me, Saeed was the best timer of the ball while Lara could use both timing & power + playing in the gap. Most great batmen will only need timing and middling the ball and at times, using their feet against slow bowlers. Sachin isn't an exception either.

Now, take Gyle who stands and delivers. You need lot of strength to do that.

My point is if you mostly play with power, you may time & middle the ball some and mistime the rest. But both can produce runs. However if you're a batsman of technique & timing; you may not have to use power at all, well may be little at times, especially in T20's. BAN lacks a great deal in the latter group.

That's my 2 cents. No intention to hurt anyone.