View Single Post
Old February 2, 2017, 04:50 AM
Test Cricketer

I don't believe just physical strength is the only requirement for big hitting. Ashraful, Aftab, Tamim, Sabbir, Shakib, Mash, M'ullah, even Mushy and few others were/are all capable of hitting big. But they don't play according to the merit of the ball, they play premeditatedly. I think ability to score from each ball is more important than hitting big. And it won't happen overnight. Our cricket culture has to change slowly. I genuinely believe our batters are not capable of finding gaps and scoring, that's why they go for big shots. Finding gap is not just about hand technique, it requires a batsman ability to read the field setting and keep in mind, read the bowlers action early, moving feet accordingly, good understanding with the non-striker and stamina to run hard. It's not easy. Easy is to go for slogging every ball.
Tamim probably has been playing for longer than Warner. Warner at the beginning of his career was a slogger. But over time he changed his batting. He is way more patient now. He plays most of the balls but doesn't go for big shots every single time. The amount of 1's and 2's he scores is unbelievable. But our Tamim still plays the same way he used to play at the beginning.
Being positive has a different meaning to our players. They think going for shots every ball is being positive. They don't think trying to stay in the crease by playing defensively, not letting the bowler to make you fool is positive.