View Single Post
Old July 12, 2014, 12:02 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

MATCH PREVIEW

Hosts Brazil, still reeling from the humiliating 7-1 defeat to Germany, end their campaign by taking on Netherlands in the third-place play-off.

A game between the two losing semi-finalists, first introduced at the 1934 World Cup, was originally envisaged as a match to whet the appetite ahead of the final.

Yet Dutch coach Louis van Gaal believes the fixture is an irrelevance.

"There is only one award that counts and that is becoming world champions," Van Gaal said.

"The worst thing is that there is a chance you are going to lose twice in a row," he added.

"And in a tournament in which you have played so marvellously well you go home as a loser."

Van Gaal's side lit up the competition in the group stage, with their 5-1 demolition of defending champions Spain particularly impressive.

However, they found the going a little tougher in the knock-out phase, producing three nervy displays.

With the pressure off, the Dutch will hope to regain their fluency and give Manchester United-bound coach Van Gaal a winning send off.

This game could also prove to be a swansong for Brazilian boss Luiz Felipe Scolari.

His future will be discussed after the tournament and the 2002 World Cup-winning coach is only too aware that the thrashing by Germany leaves a stain on his CV.

"I know my career will be marked by this defeat but we have an obligation to move on, thinking about the next goal," he admits.

" I know it's a much smaller dream than we all wanted but we have to honour the shirt of the national team."

Source