View Single Post
Old July 7, 2014, 05:24 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

I don't think we've seen Argentina play their best soccer in the tournament, mediocre midfield and defense and all. That means they haven't peaked yet and their best is yet to come. The timing couldn't be better. We've seen Italy lift the trophy after a slow start and it's possible for Argentina to do the same. We've also seen Argentina peak too soon and bow out before the semis. Maradona singleHANDEDLY won them the Cup in 1986 and maybe Messi can do the same this year. With Higuain finding form, Messi and Di Maria could prove to be a nightmare for the opposition, if Di Maria is able to suit up for the game. That said, Maradona had a much better defense behind him back then.

The Dutch may not have peaked either, but given their history of misfortune, they may not make to another World Cup final before losing that too. Robben has been in peak form with his running, passing, shooting and expert diving and the Argentine defense will have a heck of a time trying to contain him. Then there's the vision of Sneijder and Depay, and the wicked finishing ability of Van Persie and Huntelaar. The pace and power of Lens can also trouble the Argentine defense.

I'll be rooting for the Dutch despite my fantasy of Brazil beating Argentina on July 13th at home even without Neymar. A sixth championship would give them *THREE TIMES* as many World Championships as their bitter rivals, without ever resorting to a fixed match (1978), or drug-fueled cheating (1986) to do it.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; July 7, 2014 at 07:25 AM..