View Single Post
Old June 9, 2012, 11:43 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
Tiwary, Dinda, Shukla and Debabrata Das all would've have been good prospects. Interestingly enough, NONE of the first three have Bangali surnames. Those are Bihari and Ur'hia names.
Interesting. So Das is a bengali name? What about Chowdhury (in its ad infinitum spellings) and Sarkar? Are those bengali as well? I know there are many Chowdhury's amongst the Punjabis of Pakistan as well as the Sylhetis in Bangladesh. But I agree Tiwari, Dinda, Shukla don't really sound Bengali, but then again when you're used to associating only Perso-Arabic names with Bangalis its hard to tell between Ganguly/Gongopoddya (sp) and Dinda.

Hmm...I think it would be interesting to scope out the names of Bengal's cricketers and see them.

Btw, on topic, "NO", I am not in favor of poaching players to artificially strengthening our team. I don't even think its proper to consider someone like Jahid Ahmed (born in England) for national selection simply because we lack quality pacers. We have an abundance of players born in Bangladesh. Use them. Now if someone geniunely immigrates (Usman Khwaja), thats a different issue. And not cricket immigration like Sean Ervine or Kevin Pietersen.

#OneTeam1Dream